Unanswered: Corrupting an Access 2000 DB ...

Hi all.

I have setup a "client/server" access scheme for a company to help alleviate a SLOW network ... My problem is the DB on the server corrupts infrequently and of varying severity. Sometimes I can do a C & R within the DB itself and all is fine. Other times (just moments ago in fact) I had to repair the DB thru the ODBC Data Sources ... I'm trying to eliminate from my corruption list ... Everything is done thru ADO and there are multiple ADO connections to the server DB for each client ... Any ideas on what could be going on?

Re: Corrupting an Access 2000 DB ...

have you tried narrowing down the causes. What transaction the user are doing when it corrupts.? May be you are running out of server connections or it could be too many read write updates going on at the same time. It also depends hoe many users are using the app concurrently.

Originally posted by M Owen
    Hi all.

I have setup a "client/server" access scheme for a company to help alleviate a SLOW network ... My problem is the DB on the server corrupts infrequently and of varying severity. Sometimes I can do a C & R within the DB itself and all is fine. Other times (just moments ago in fact) I had to repair the DB thru the ODBC Data Sources ... I'm trying to eliminate from my corruption list ... Everything is done thru ADO and there are multiple ADO connections to the server DB for each client ... Any ideas on what could be going on?

Khan,

Couple of good ideas there ... There is no concurrency except on the server end where each client is hitting the single common DB on the server. Each client has a separate copy of the "interface" DB ( nothing but forms and reports) ...

As a 2nd thought, anyone know of where to find the MAX # of server connections for an Access 2000 DB?

Khan,

Nother thought: I've seen at most 10 users hitting the system at 1 time ... (Users logged into Access)

My experience say that Access may display wierd chararteristics after 25 or more concurrent active users. I don't know about the max no of server connection.

Another thought, what version of VBA are you using. There were some bugs in the version 6.3 (version 9108 for forms 3.2.01).

As a 2nd thought, anyone know of where to find the MAX # of server connections for an Access 2000 DB?

Khan,

Nother thought: I've seen at most 10 users hitting the system at 1 time ... (Users logged into Access)

access is not good for mulitple users.. have you tried sql server ?

Troy,

I'm stuck with access. Not an option for me ...

Khan,

How can I determine the VBA Version?

Open up your vba editor and select Microsoft Visual basic from Help menu. It'll say something like Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 (this is what I use. I upgraded to 6.3 and got stuck. Exporting or importing any code was corrupting my db).

At the bottom it actually mentions the version number and other details.
    if you have version no 9108 and vba reatial 6.3.... then you are in trouble. If not we can explore other avenues.

Troy,

I'm stuck with access. Not an option for me ...

Khan,

How can I determine the VBA Version?

Khan,

I see it and got it ... Version 6.3 that it ... That is the version for Access 2002 out of the box. I'm running on Access 2000 which has the VBA version 6.0 ... BUT, I'm developing in Access 2002 for 2000 AND importing code(forms & reports) within 2002 ... That might be causing the problem... Something to check out.