Unanswered: Insert/Select/Delete openquery not working sql server to tereadata

1) after executing the below statement It is saying one record inserted

insert OPENQUERY(TeraDataSrv1, 'SELECT * from TVS.TVS1')values ('sateesh','sateesh','2003-10-24 00:00:00.000')

2) below select statement is working but not retrieving any records

select * from openquery(TeraDataSrv1, 'select * from TVS.TVS1')

3) after executing the below delete statement it's displaying an error

delete from openquery(TeraDataSrv1, 'select * from TVS.TVS1 where user_id = ''ASYS012'' or appl_name = ''sateesh'' ')

4) Error:
    Server: Msg 7345, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' could not delete from table '
    select * from TVS.TVS1
    where
    user_id = 'ASYS012' or appl_name = 'sateesh'
    '. There was a recoverable, pr...
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [NCR][Teradata RDBMS] Column User//ID not found in wrkdvp01.wrkvw005. ]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IRowsetChange:eleteRows returned 0x80040e21: DBROWSTATUS_E_FAIL].

Please give me solution for this problem.

--Sateesh

Howdy

Try replacing

'select * from TVS.TVS1 where user_id = ''ASYS012'' or appl_name = ''sateesh''

with

'delete ..........

Cheers

SG

I have replaced with "sateesh" for "ASYS012".....but not working....syntax and column values are correct....

My user id is having select/insert/delete rights to TVS.TVS1. (I've been able to select and insert - but the DELETE is giving me an error.)

I'm still getting the error message

Server: Msg 7345, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' could not delete from table '
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: Insufficient base table information for updating or refreshing.]
    OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IRowsetChange:eleteRows returned 0x80040e21: DBROWSTATUS_E_FAIL].

Regards,
    Sateesh

Originally posted by sqlguy7777
    Howdy

Try replacing

'select * from TVS.TVS1 where user_id = ''ASYS012'' or appl_name = ''sateesh''

with

'delete ..........

Cheers

SG

Howdy,

I think this problem you are having may be a bug......

However, I would link the the remote server to your server then try using a distributed query.

e.g. if the remote server was called REM1...

select * from REM1.<db_name>.<owner>.<table_name> aa

where 'aa' is a derived table name. If you use a derived table, you can then treat the derived table like any other table.............

e.g.

select aa.<column_one>
    from REM1.<db_name>.<owner>.<table_name> aa
    where aa.<column_two> = 'some_value'

This works - I have used it in production.

Cheers,

SG

Case sensitive on delete

I was having the same problem with a linked AS400 server the following would work:

insert into OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr') values (222222)

&

select * from OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT * from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222')

However this would NOT:

delete OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222')

It would give the following error:

OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' could not delete from table 'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222'. There was a recoverable, provider-specific error, such as an RPC failure.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [IBM][Client Access Express ODBC Driver (32-bit)][DB2/400 SQL]SQL0204 - "tmfcntr" in FILES type *FILE not found.]

Turns out the the the delete query is case sensitive.

so
    delete OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from TMFCNTR where TRIDNO = 222222')

WOULD WORK!
    this is just FYI.

For your problem try selecting only the primary key in your openquery statement. "select *" often gave me errors while deleteing of the "Insufficient base table information" type.

Linked server

attached are the selections you must make to be able to link to as/400.
    Then use the linked server in your openquery statement
    Attached Files Attached Files
    jm

You don't need to use the OPENQUERY calls to access DB2 via a linked server. Simply use the 4-part naming convention.

select * from [linked server name].[catalog].[schema].[filename]

Obviously, the brackets aren't required. Also, it's case sensitive (very annoying).

If you're having problems with INSERTs, UPDATEs and DELETEs you'll need to create journal entries on the DB2 server for the tables/files you're trying to update. Refer to this article:

Insert, Delete, Update Article Fix for DB2 Linked Servers

Regarding UPDATE and DELETE

Quote Originally Posted by RolandGS View Post
    I was having the same problem with a linked AS400 server the following would work:

insert into OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr') values (222222)

&

select * from OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT * from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222')

However this would NOT:

delete OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222')

It would give the following error:

OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' could not delete from table 'SELECT TRIDNO from tmfcntr where TRIDNO = 222222'. There was a recoverable, provider-specific error, such as an RPC failure.
    [OLE/DB provider returned message: [IBM][Client Access Express ODBC Driver (32-bit)][DB2/400 SQL]SQL0204 - "tmfcntr" in FILES type *FILE not found.]

Turns out the the the delete query is case sensitive.

so
    delete OPENQUERY (CWSREPLICATION,'SELECT TRIDNO from TMFCNTR where TRIDNO = 222222')

WOULD WORK!
    this is just FYI.

For your problem try selecting only the primary key in your openquery statement. "select *" often gave me errors while deleteing of the "Insufficient base table information" type.
    Hi,
    Were you able to figure out why the UPDATE and DELETE commands in OPENQUERY are case sensitive and work only in uppercase??