Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    139

    Unanswered: Access 2000 & 2002 Conflicts

    I have created a db with access 2000 that works fine on my testing pc (windows 2000).

    I just happen to install it on a windows 2000 enviroment with Access 2002. The db is divide in FE and BE. All the functions and code are working fine but, randomly, the program crashes. What exactly happens is this:

    1. access gives the usual message that another user has changed the record etc... Obviously nobody else is using the db. The db is not shared on the network and there's only one operator using it.
    2. when you clik "save the record" Access 2002 gives a gpf and closes.

    After that you can find that the record you were working on is just blank or has japanese or chinese characters in it. Isn't that terrible?

    I've repaired the db, converted it into access 2002 using the convert utility. I downloaded all the patches for access 2002 and the jet service packs.

    Is there anyone out there who knows what's happening? Is there a way of solving the problem?

    I came up with only one solution. Install access 2000 on another computer and try to simulate the problem there....

    I AM COMPLETELY STUCK WITH NO IDEA!

    Please help!

    oh, by the way... WHY THE JAPANESE FONT?
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Boston, Mass. USA
    Posts
    81
    well, for starters, don't register for a Japanese language class. I dont' think it will help the Access problem

    One thing that helps some in Access 2000, change settings that are specific to each machine (pc). Open Access, Tools Menu, Options, Advance Tab. Change Number of Update Retries from 2 to the maximum 10. You may have to reboot before this takes effect. DOn't know if this will help in Access 2002 but it seems it may be helping in Access 2000 (You have to do thi so on every PC that uses your databse.) You could also test other things in the advanced tab, for ex. changing the interval between retries.

    also, depending how your network is set up there may be too long of an interval before it refreshs to see who is still logged on. See if the LDB file is there still after you exit and try to get back in. Our IS people played with a setting in our Novell server so it would refresh sooner and this has helped somewhat (not a miracle fix...).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    139
    I really appreciate your answer. Sometimes I find that this forum has got people always asking for the same questions (especially Combo Boxes - which I now almost hate), and general topics are normally skipped even by the so-called gurus.

    Anyway...

    The problem could be solved your way... and I'm sure your suggestions will help.

    But... now this is the trick...

    The problem is always showing in a particular form. There are actually two forms:

    One generic
    One specific opened from the generic.

    The table is the same! The record origin the same!

    That I think is the problem.

    I just split the table creating a linked table with the data needed to fill in the second form and I believe this will solve the problem. Probably Access keeps on checking the record just because the db is split into FE and BE as you said, and sometimes mess up with table and form.

    I hope this is going to work. And hope this will help other people.

    Thanks again for your interest.
    Marco
    ---Do not send e-mail---
    "New Big Bang Theory: God said unzip universe"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •