Thread: help me

Red face Unanswered: help me

hi
    iam working in access.and i imported a table from warehouse,and in that table,year field is a text field with 02 field size.numbers r like 03,04,02 .and i want them to be 2003,2004,2002,like that.so i i made field size to 50 .but its saying that microsoft cant change the datatype.ther is'nt enough space for disk.i tried to do it by even going to tools,options,tables/queries and changed the defalut to 50 once and again 255.but still its not working.atlast i kept only 4 also for field size but stil its aying disk out of space.
    how can i change my data field size?
    r ther anyother methods.
    i need to change the fileds as i hav to compare them with other table which is linked.so i cant make changes to its design view.and for thattable year is text and field size is 50.
    help me out with this problem.
    deepthi

Re: help me

Originally posted by gofrenzy
    hi
    iam working in access.and i imported a table from warehouse,and in that table,year field is a text field with 02 field size.numbers r like 03,04,02 .and i want them to be 2003,2004,2002,like that.so i i made field size to 50 .but its saying that microsoft cant change the datatype.ther is'nt enough space for disk.i tried to do it by even going to tools,options,tables/queries and changed the defalut to 50 once and again 255.but still its not working.atlast i kept only 4 also for field size but stil its aying disk out of space.
    how can i change my data field size?
    r ther anyother methods.
    i need to change the fileds as i hav to compare them with other table which is linked.so i cant make changes to its design view.and for thattable year is text and field size is 50.
    help me out with this problem.
    deepthi
    It seems to me that this value would be better stored in a date or numeric field. I'm not sure why it would say that you were running out of disk space when you try to increase the length of your text field. Have you tried changing the data type to numeric?

increasing field size

YA .i tried to change it to memo,the same problem popped up.
    but the other table's(wichita) attribute year which i have to compare , is text and as it is linked table i can't change the format of text for that table.and year is like 2003,2004 in that table.
    so i have to change this topeka table's field size to make 03,04 to 2003,2004.
    deepthi

you don't need to change the fields to compare.

your choice of whether you trim the 2004 to 04 (easiest) or pad the 04 to 2004 (more complicated since you need to have a scheme to calculate 19xx or 20xx).

e.g. trimming the long date:

new query, show table(the one with long dates), add all fields.
    then start typing in an empty Field box
    shortDate: right$([fieldName], 2)
    replace fieldName with the real name of the long text date field

...and make your comparison between tblShortDate and the "calculated" shortDate in the query.

if you get problems with trailing characters after the "2004" in the 50 char field, use instead:
    shortDate: mid$([fieldName], 3, 2)

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 10-31-03 at 05:38.
    currently using SS 2008R2