Unanswered: Service Name for DirectConnect

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the service name is for DirectConnect when you are setting up an ODBC connection to an existing Sybase server? I've tried using the Adaptive Anywhere Server 6.0 driver (dbcli6.exe) to connect to a Sybase server and I can't get it to work over our network. I am on the corporate subnet. I can ping and such, just can't successfully connect...
    ~D

G'day

Direct Connect is not required to setup a connection to ASA. Direct COnnect is used only for ASE to 3rd party databases. ASE <--> Oracle or ASE <--> DB2 etc...

You need dbisql to coonect to ASA 6.

Cheers,

Willy

Thanks, Willy.
    Have you ever connected (ODBC) to a Sybase server on a different network before? That's my main issue at the moment...

Cheers,
    ~D

Originally posted by djay
    Thanks, Willy.
    Have you ever connected (ODBC) to a Sybase server on a different network before? That's my main issue at the moment...

Cheers,
    ~D
    Don't know if Willy has done this, but I have.

Your DirectConnect server probably has a number of "services". The TDS ODBC driver for DirectConnect should be able to connect to any of them. If you don't know the names of the available services on your DirectConnect, talk to your Admin. (or sneak a peek at the DC log, they should all be listed there) The TDS driver does not require OpenClient or the SQL.INI, you specify the connection parameters when you create the ODBC DSN. (or in the connection string for DSN-Less connections)

Doug

Originally posted by db_coyote
    Don't know if Willy has done this, but I have.

Your DirectConnect server probably has a number of "services". The TDS ODBC driver for DirectConnect should be able to connect to any of them. If you don't know the names of the available services on your DirectConnect, talk to your Admin. (or sneak a peek at the DC log, they should all be listed there) The TDS driver does not require OpenClient or the SQL.INI, you specify the connection parameters when you create the ODBC DSN. (or in the connection string for DSN-Less connections)

Doug
    ASA does not use standard TDS like ASE. ASA comes with it's own client library like dbisqlc, dbisqlj and dbisql. I don't see why need to go through Direct Connect just to connect to an ASA database engine.