Unanswered: 2 versions of MS Access

Hi Gurus,

I have to work with two versions of MS Access, 97 and 2002. Since most of my db's are in 2002 format, the default application is MS Access 2002. But other db's are in 97 format and when I double click on such files, I get two type of msgs:

1) Convert database dialog box
    2) A message box comes up with the message: 'You can't make changes to the database objects in the database' This db was created in an earlier version.

As of now, I cannot upgrade all 97 db's to 2002. My question is how to get rid of this. I mean is there a way to open the db file in appropriate application. For example, if I double click on a 2002 format db, it opens in Office xp version and if I double click on a 97 format db, it opens in Office 97 Access. I also want to know why the 2nd message is displayed.

tia
    Arun

Re: 2 versions of MS Access

Originally posted by nmarun
    Hi Gurus,

I have to work with two versions of MS Access, 97 and 2002. Since most of my db's are in 2002 format, the default application is MS Access 2002. But other db's are in 97 format and when I double click on such files, I get two type of msgs:

1) Convert database dialog box
    2) A message box comes up with the message: 'You can't make changes to the database objects in the database' This db was created in an earlier version.

As of now, I cannot upgrade all 97 db's to 2002. My question is how to get rid of this. I mean is there a way to open the db file in appropriate application. For example, if I double click on a 2002 format db, it opens in Office xp version and if I double click on a 97 format db, it opens in Office 97 Access. I also want to know why the 2nd message is displayed.

tia
    Arun
    Well the simple solution would be that for most of your databases which are Access 2002 just doubleclick on them from within Windows Explorer. And for the few Access 97 databases that you have, first open Access 97 and then do File | Open.

And if you want to have Windows Explorer open up an Access document in the newest vestion of Access (the default) OR an older version of Access:

In Windows Explorer | View | Options | File Types tab | Select New below | Call it Open with Access 97 and give it the code of something like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 97\Office\MSACCESS.EXE".

Then if you right click on an .mdb file in Windows Explorer you will have the choice of Open (in latest version of Access) or Open with Access 97.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Provided Answers: 1
    Another Solution:

Before you start an application which is written in AccessXP then start the AccessXP without loading any file and close it again, then start your application. The same make with applications written in Access97.

Originally posted by hammbakka
    Another Solution:

Before you start an application which is written in AccessXP then start the AccessXP without loading any file and close it again, then start your application. The same make with applications written in Access97.

Originally posted by hammbakka
    Another Solution:

Hi Gurus,

Thanks for your update Bullschmidt. About the information provided by hammbakka, could you please let me know what exactly happens when I do what you mentioned.

Thanks again for your help.

Arun