Unanswered: Error in ASP whilst trying to connect to Informix DB

I'm having a sporadic problem connecting to our DB server through and ASP. The error message is simply "Cannot connect to database server (our db server)". Let me tell you a little about our setup.

The dbms is Informix 7.20 running on SCO Unix.
    The ASP is hosted on our Windows 2000 box. The connection is via a DSN on the windows box and I'm using the latest Informix ODBC driver.

I've tried looking at the processes running on the DB server whilst this problem is happening and there is nothing obviously preventing the connection. The trouble is that the problem is sporadic and usually only lasts 10 mins or so, so I'm having difficulty tracking it down. I would be most grateful if any of you have any ideas about things I can try.

Re: Error in ASP whilst trying to connect to Informix DB

Originally posted by macca
    I'm having a sporadic problem connecting to our DB server through and ASP. The error message is simply "Cannot connect to database server (our db server)". Let me tell you a little about our setup.

The dbms is Informix 7.20 running on SCO Unix.
    The ASP is hosted on our Windows 2000 box. The connection is via a DSN on the windows box and I'm using the latest Informix ODBC driver.

I've tried looking at the processes running on the DB server whilst this problem is happening and there is nothing obviously preventing the connection. The trouble is that the problem is sporadic and usually only lasts 10 mins or so, so I'm having difficulty tracking it down. I would be most grateful if any of you have any ideas about things I can try.
    Hi,

On Windows 2000, Have You installed product Client-SDK of Informix ?

Gustavo.

Yep, the SDK is installed, and with it the correct INFORMIX driver for ODBC. As I say, the connection works most of the time but, occasionally, it doesn't.

Yep, the SDK is installed, and with it the correct INFORMIX driver for ODBC. As I say, the connection works most of the time but, occasionally, it doesn't.
    Ok,
    The problem is in the connect or one you see connected.
    If in the connect, set environment variable INFORMIXCONTIME and INFORMIXCONRETRY.
    Or test the value of time-out of TCP/IP.

Gustavo.

On Setnet32 there is no INFORMIXCONTIME variable to set. Is there another name for it?

There is a CONRETRY, it was blank so I have set it to 2 seconds.

Sorry to keep bothering you with this but this is a new area for me.

On Setnet32 there is no INFORMIXCONTIME variable to set. Is there another name for it?

There is a CONRETRY, it was blank so I have set it to 2 seconds.

Sorry to keep bothering you with this but this is a new area for me.
    Hi,

There are same, increment this value and test the connection.

Gustavo.

Thanks Gustavo, I've made the changes you suggested and I will let you know if I get the same error again in the coming weeks.

I appreciate your help.

Tim