Unanswered: Want date entered automatically(newbie)

Hi,
    I'm using Oracle 9i. I am trying to create a procedure that automatically enters today's date into the attendance table when the student's name is passed to the procedure. Here are the 2 tables I am using:
    Student table:
    Student_id First_name Last_name Sex Title

Attendance Table:
    Student_id Att_date

I have the following procedure which I have created that requires the attendance date to be passed as a parameter:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE ATTEND(FNAME VARCHAR2, LNAME VARCHAR2, DATEATTEND DATE) AS
    BEGIN

UPDATE ATTENDANCE
    SET ATT_DATE = DATEATTEND
    WHERE STUDENT_ID =
    (SELECT A.STUDENT_ID
    FROM STUDENT S, ATTENDANCE A
    WHERE S.STUDENT_ID = A.STUDENT_ID AND S.FIRST_NAME = FNAME AND S.LAST_NAME = LNAME);

END;

I have looked at SQL functions such as SYSDATE but do not really understand how to use them and have performed a search on this forum but again didn't find anything to use.

I was thinking that maybe SET ATT_DATE = DATEATTEND might be changed so that DATEATTEND is replaced with a built-in function.

If anybody has a solution to my problem please post. Thanks.

getDate function

try inserting the getDate function or whatever oracle uses as its date function into your stored procedure. Rather than pass the value from a server side page, you should be able to simply insert the current date (using the date function) for that value...

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Want date entered automatically(newbie)

UPDATE ATTENDANCE
    SET ATT_DATE = SYSDATE
    WHERE ...;