Unanswered: Oracle Linux error when creating DB

Hello,

I am attempting to install Oracle (8.1.7.0.1) on my Debian linux machine which is a PIII650 with 128meg of ram.

I have been following some helpful instructions I found here -> http://jordan.fortwayne.com/oracle/817.html

The install seems to go fine, until it gets to the part where it creates the database. It gets to 80% and starts giving me errors about not being able to connect to Oracle etc and then I eventually get an ORA-03113 error (end of file comunication channel) which I beleive is something to do with a memory problem (probably caused by my 128meg ram).

Does anyone have any ideas that will help me? I'm sure its something to do with memory, but without getting some more ram how can I do it?

A big thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

Cheers
    Ben

You could try applying the latest patch set (8.1.7.4) before creating the database. It sounds like a bug (the instance, i.e. the Oracle processes, died during the creation).

Anyway AFAIK the only supported distributions are Red Hat and Suse - on Red Hat, the installation of 8.1.7.0 was quite easy.

HTH
    Al

Thanks for your help! I'll give it a few more goes and if i can't get it to work i'll just put Red Hat on!

Cheers

Hi,

I think your guess is correct, ie some problem to do with the memory available. Check for the "PROCESSES" parameter in the init file. Reduce to around 50 (or even 40) & try to create the database.

HTH
    Arvind