Unanswered: Client Network Utility

Guys,

Anybody knows how the client network utility can be configured PROGRAMATICALLY.

What I wanna do ultimately, is to run a batch file and set an alias for the client network utility.

Thanks,

Regards,

Any possibilities thru OSQL? I haven't found anything yet.

Double posting.

I'm pretty sure that you can do it with a registry file... don't have SQL Server on my new laptop yet so I can't tell you what key, but it should be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE somewhere

all you should have to do is set it up, do a search in the registry (using regedit) for the alias or whatever you added, export that key to a *.reg file, clean up the file a bit (to get rid of duplicate or extraneous keys) and import it on a test machine to check it out.

I use that method to add system ODBC data sources all the time, never done it with the Client Network Utility though... standard disclaimer however... if you mess up the registry it's your fault and don't forget to back it up before importing anything
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

Hey thanx Drew. Interesting idea. I'll give it a try and let you know what happened.

sure thing... I'll be in the office tomorrow and will post it up if I get to it before you, been meaning to do it for a long time to make client config as dummy proof as possible so I don't have to sit on the phone t-shooting stupid crap like that
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com