Unanswered: Sybase Memory Leakage

Hi

I have a problem with a memory leakage on ASE 11.9.2 running on a HP-UX 11.11.

The server has 8GB of RAM and ASE is configured to use 1.2GB Total Memory.

After rebooting the server and starting up ASE. The Unix server shows to have over 6.5 GB Free.

I performe a Dump of my databases and this goes down to 5.4 GB and After loading a DB (6Gb in Size) the Free memory goes down to 2.8 GB

Top utilty:

Memory: 423664K (363884K) real, 1593392K (1512344K) virtual, 2889944K free

Does anyone know why I am lossing so much memory here ?

Tks

MG
    Last edited by mickge; 11-06-03 at 12:15.

If you have set ASE Total Memory to 1.2GB then it won't go beyond 1.2 GB. You can check the shared memory segment using ipcs -ma.

Remember backup server uses shared memory outside ASE. So depending on the number of stripes, the memory segment size will vary. This explains some variations that you see in the mem usage. Other large variations may be attributed to some other application using shared mem.

I have no Applications running on this server. After starting ASE - there is 6.5 GB FREE of 8GB. After doing a Dump and Load of a DB that is which is 6GB in size, the Memory drops to 2.8GB

I have tried dumping and loading the databases to 16 stripes (instead of one) but it does not help.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    If you have set ASE Total Memory to 1.2GB then it won't go beyond 1.2 GB. You can check the shared memory segment using ipcs -ma.

Remember backup server uses shared memory outside ASE. So depending on the number of stripes, the memory segment size will vary. This explains some variations that you see in the mem usage. Other large variations may be attributed to some other application using shared mem.

Originally posted by mickge
    I have no Applications running on this server. After starting ASE - there is 6.5 GB FREE of 8GB. After doing a Dump and Load of a DB that is which is 6GB in size, the Memory drops to 2.8GB

I have tried dumping and loading the databases to 16 stripes (instead of one) but it does not help.

Any ideas would be appreciated
    I guess the dump used disk files, not tape.
    If so, the Unix File System Buffer Cache
    will be heavily used, grabbing lots of memory.
    I don't know how to check this; ask your sysadmin.

Regards,
    Mariano Corral

That would be my guess as well -- the OS will cache some things independant of the ASE. If this is the case this is generally NOT A BAD THING because the OS will let go of it if another application wants it; this should not cause a performance problem.
    Thanks,

Matt