Unanswered: Connectiong to SQL Server 2000 over VPN

Hi, hoping someone can help me out here. I am opening enterprise manager and trying to register a new server for which I have permissions. When I use windows authentication I get "Login Failed for user "(null)" and when I use SQL Server Authentication I get "Login failed for user "sa".

I am VPN'd in to the companies network. I am not on their domain, I am on a domain at my current location. I think the problem is that I am not logged on to their domain therefore it can't see me as the user I am on that domain. Is there any way to trick this, or simply to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Connectiong to SQL Server 2000 over VPN

Can you reach the server on the VPN (ping it) ?
    if not, you need to reconfigurate your network settings(IP of the switch connectiong to the VPN)
    if you can ping it, you should have no problem using SQL server Authentication (unless firewall filter the SQL Server port)

Originally posted by kevin86
    Hi, hoping someone can help me out here. I am opening enterprise manager and trying to register a new server for which I have permissions. When I use windows authentication I get "Login Failed for user "(null)" and when I use SQL Server Authentication I get "Login failed for user "sa".

I am VPN'd in to the companies network. I am not on their domain, I am on a domain at my current location. I think the problem is that I am not logged on to their domain therefore it can't see me as the user I am on that domain. Is there any way to trick this, or simply to get it to work?

Thanks in advance.

I can ping the server. I can also access shared folders on this server. When I use SQL Authentication I have tried using SA, our Admin account, and an account set up for me and they all say login failed for user.

How could I check to see if the firewall is blocking it? I don't think this is the problem but I guess it could be?

I think you have to ask to the system admin for the firewall.

Do you asked someone on the domain (not using the VPN) to try login SQL server with the same users you tried ?

I can ping the server. I can also access shared folders on this server. When I use SQL Authentication I have tried using SA, our Admin account, and an account set up for me and they all say login failed for user.

How could I check to see if the firewall is blocking it? I don't think this is the problem but I guess it could be?

Someone on the domain was able to log in using the id's I tried.

I just spoke to our network admin and these ports are not blocked. Any other suggestions?

Someone on the domain was able to log in using the id's I tried.

I just spoke to our network admin and these ports are not blocked. Any other suggestions?
    You cannot register as windows nt user (trusted) cos you might not be added to that server as a user, and as you are able to ping the server , you are suppose to register the server using sql login, the only reason i would say you are not able to register is the sa password is wrong, try overwriting the password froom any of the machines where its already connected and then register it ...you should be able to connect ....