Unanswered: Paradox 7: Corrupt table/index header

I am by no means a database programmer. Nevertheless, we have been using Paradox to keep track of dates and times that our invoices are approved by the different personnel in our office. It has worked very well for us. We use a simple database without multiple tables and a single form to display the information nicely for printing. We have set up passwords with each individual having access to only modify the line that applies to them. This database and form reside on a computer running Windows 98 SE. This DB and form are accessed by multiple users (only one user at a time) over a peer to peer ethernet network of all WIN 98 SE machines. Users access this databse with a shortcut on their desktops to the form on the "server" machine. I should also mention that there are 6 different users who have access to this DB.

Last week, the database would not open and we received the error:

Corrupt table/index header
    File: (our database)

I restored the database from backup and it worked for a day and then we received the same error. I restored again, using the same backup and it worked for a short time and, again, we received the error.

I have attempted to use the Paradox Table Repair Utility. I browse to the database and then I receive the error:

Table (our database) cannot be opened.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Your back-up copy may be damaged. Things to try:

1) Start with a fresh copy from back up - don't try to run any Paradox applications before trying to use the repair tool.

2) Use a third party repair tool like Chimney Sweep.

3) Open the table using restructure, click PACK and then save. If you can do that, try the repair tool again.

4) Create a new table with the same structure and attempt to copy your data into it using ADD. Then run the repair against the new table.

5) Use Export or write a shot export script (just copy the example in the exportToASCII method ObjectPAL help file) and then import to a new table.

If the table repair didn't work this probably won't either but in my paradox 8 db I've had tables grow to large and fail to open. I remove the primary key by hitting the space bar ove the field with a *, then save the table, then add the key back by hitting the space bar so the * shows up again, and then resave. Copy the table to a backup first.

Cool

It is very likely that someone didn't shut down their computer properly. This is not too uncommon. Our tool should fix it most expediently. Paradox's built-in table repair tool can probably also fix this problem but it takes more time since it's one-table-at-a-time.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

To prevent further corruption you can turn on local share in the bde administrator tool "idapi.cfg" and set the "pdoxusers.net" file in each bde to the same location, ie map a drive on each machine to the main "server" and have the pdoxusers.net file on the server.

It is not necesary to turn on local share "localshare=True" on all bde tools that are on your lan i think but i did have a problem until the localshare setting was set to true on both machines i was using.

I assume that paradox is installed on all your machines.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice! I have printed this all out and when I get a chance I will attempt to repair the old database to determine what went wrong. For now, due to time constraints, I went ahead and replaced the old database with a clean copy (with no data) that I had saved when I originally created this. I also advised everyone here in the office to make sure that they close out of the program correctly.

Now being smack dab in the middle of the holiday season, for us, comes the preperations for year-end, so I will have to wait to do any experimenting until I have some free time.

Again, thank you for all the great suggestions!

~~ Angie

Angry Corrupted Paradox table

Originally posted by sundialsvcs
    It is very likely that someone didn't shut down their computer properly. This is not too uncommon. Our tool should fix it most expediently. Paradox's built-in table repair tool can probably also fix this problem but it takes more time since it's one-table-at-a-time.
    Hello,

Embedding an endless loop in Delphi code and shooting off the application by task manager (Win2k) I corrupted header/index of a Paradox table (about 3500 records). Using Paradox7 with Delphi6 I don't find a Paradox repair utility. Does Chimney sweep repair db files with damaged header/index?

Hints welcome
    Oswald