Thread: Automatic save

Unanswered: Automatic save

HI,

Im trying to search a database to determine if a record already exist, if it does i wan tot give the user the option of changin the existing record if the wants to. i made an event that propomt the user, if the user presses OK i want the form of the existing contact to [pop up so the user can change the info. However, my event is set to before update and when i try to go to the other record a runtime error occurs because i interfere with the automatic saving in Access. is there a way to disable automatic saving of records? Here is the code im using

Private Sub last_name_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

Dim Name As Variant
    Dim strMsg2 As String
    Dim bytAnswer2 As Byte
    Dim id As Integer

Name = DLookup("[last_name]", "tbl_Contact", "[last_name] = '" & Forms!frm_Contact!last_name & "' AND [first_name] = '" & Forms!frm_Contact!first_name & "'")

id = DLookup("[RecordNumber]+0", "Contact_Name", "[last_name] = '" & Forms!frm_Contact!last_name & "' AND [first_name] = '" & Forms!frm_Contact!first_name & "'")

If Name <> " " Then
    strMsg2 = "This Contact Already Exist. Would you like to Change the contact information?"
    bytAnswer2 = MsgBox(strMsg2, vbYesNo + _
    vbDefaultButton2 + vbQuestion)

If bytAnswer2 = vbYes Then
    rien = MsgBox("Close this message box and then press ESC to cancel the changes", vbInformation)

DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, "frm_Contact", acGoTo, id

ElseIf bytAnswer2 = vbNo Then
    rien = MsgBox("Close this message box and then press ESC to cancel the changes", vbInformation)
    DoCmd.CancelEvent

End If

End If

End Sub

Use this after you are done updating the record.

DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord