Unanswered: memory usage of sqlservr.exe

Hi,

Can we limit the memory usage of sqlservr.exe ?
    I am using MSDE to run a 24x7 system and the sqlservr.exe takes around 200,000K (as shown in task manager). My concern is whether such usage would have adverse effect on other processes.

The system configuration is:
    PIII-700MHz, 256MB RAM
    MSDE 2000 over Win NT 4.0 (SP6)
    Thanks in advance.

regards,
    henry

Re: memory usage of sqlservr.exe

There is a way to limit how much memory sql server can use in a given machine. But judging from the hardware configuration of your server, the machine is barely enough to run sql 2000. I don't know how much resource you need to run your database, but since you've mentioned 'other processes' in the box I would think that box has other things running. The slowdown could very well be caused by reaching the limit of your hardware capacities.

To set a fixed amount of memory

Expand a server group.

Right-click a server, and then click Properties.

Click the Memory tab.

Click Use a fixed memory size (MB), and then position the fixed memory slider.

Hi Joe!

Thaks for your valuable input.

Yes, there is are several other exes running alongwith the msde.
    Actually, i have not noticed slowdown in any process. But due to the varying memory consumption of the sqlmangr.exe, i am wondering whether the fixed memory option should be applied.

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,
    henry

The memory usage you see in Task Manager is simple the max of what you give to sql. SQL will allocate as much memory as you define in the Max Memory property. The actual usage of memory in sql is different. If you want to see the actual usage of memory by sql, run the performance monitor. If you don't see any slowdown, you can give it a try to lower the max memory.

Hi!

I used the Performance monitor and compared the Private bytes with Dynamic memory and with fixed memory.
    Except for the Private bytes and working set which get restricted in fixed memory case, i could not differentiate between the two options.
    On reading the SQL online books, i found that the default dynamic setting is best for the system and i think i shall keep the setting as it is.

Thanks and regards,
    henry

Smile

Probably sounds stupid, but still, wouldn't hurt restarting that NT server once a week, even if it needs to be up 24x7. Could help improve overall performance. Generally they do this during Sunday night, when server usage is reduced.

Best regards!