Unanswered: mysql - table size limits

Hi,
    Since I am new to the DB world, I would like to know what is the limit mysql imposes on the table size.
    I have to design a database, that is up 27 x 7 x 365(pretty much!)
    Every hour it logs data which accumulates to about 27K rows.
    So, my question is, If I have just a Table ( with 5 coloumns), will I overflow very soon ?
    Is there a better way, to design the tables? Say, create a Table @ day?
    Currenty, in my design I have 3 tables, each having about 5 columns.
    Atleast 1 table will size about to 27K rows of data at the end of one day.

I have here with me a Windows 2K mcahine ( 1.5GHz Pentium), 1GB Ram, 40GB HardDisk. I am thinking about RAID too. and also possibly SCSI disks to improve performance (if necessary ).

Pls feel free to comment on the above!
    Thanks,

Deepak Ram

Provided Answers: 1

Re: mysql - table size limits

Originally posted by deepakram
    Hi,
    Since I am new to the DB world, I would like to know what is the limit mysql imposes on the table size.
    I have to design a database, that is up 27 x 7 x 365(pretty much!)
    Every hour it logs data which accumulates to about 27K rows.
    So, my question is, If I have just a Table ( with 5 coloumns), will I overflow very soon ?
    Is there a better way, to design the tables? Say, create a Table @ day?
    Currenty, in my design I have 3 tables, each having about 5 columns.
    Atleast 1 table will size about to 27K rows of data at the end of one day.

I have here with me a Windows 2K mcahine ( 1.5GHz Pentium), 1GB Ram, 40GB HardDisk. I am thinking about RAID too. and also possibly SCSI disks to improve performance (if necessary ).

Pls feel free to comment on the above!
    Thanks,

Deepak Ram
    It all depends on your OS, filesystem and size of rows of your table and table handler.

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_size.html

When using MyISAM table handler, you can also workaround the filesystem filesize limit by using MERGE tables. When using InnoDB, you can just create multiple tablespaces.

You case is not exceptional... The Genome project and a few other companies are using MySQL to store Terabytes of data in a few billion rows...

And 237 million rows a year ain't so bad... as long as you have the proper hardware and decent design.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply,
    is there a website, where I can go and look into how database for such high storage applications are done? as you said, the genome project for example ?

Thnks in Advance.
    Deepak Ram

Originally posted by bstjean
    It all depends on your OS, filesystem and size of rows of your table and table handler.

See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_size.html

When using MyISAM table handler, you can also workaround the filesystem filesize limit by using MERGE tables. When using InnoDB, you can just create multiple tablespaces.

You case is not exceptional... The Genome project and a few other companies are using MySQL to store Terabytes of data in a few billion rows...

And 237 million rows a year ain't so bad... as long as you have the proper hardware and decent design.

Hope this helps.

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by deepakram
    Thanks for the reply,
    is there a website, where I can go and look into how database for such high storage applications are done? as you said, the genome project for example ?

Thnks in Advance.
    Deepak Ram
    Well, you can have a description of volume/perf/setup

http://www.mysql.com/press/user_stories/