Unanswered: retrieve non primary key

hi,

i have a search function where in my sql, i have both search by name (non primary key)and NRIC (primaryk key). how can find the exact match (whether is capital letter or non capital letter etc)???

eg. how can i have a sql statement that will retieve the records of each individually??? the below are 2 different rercords.
    1) nono
    2) Nono

in my scenario od search function, when the user key in 'Nono', it will retrieve the records for 'nono'. how can i solve this???
    can i retrieve them individually ???

pls advice
    nono

Provided Answers: 1

Lightbulb

Look up the function Ucase which converts 2 UpperCase

why do i need to convert to uppercase???

what i mean is that, in my table there are 2 different records. they are different records but with same name.
    - nono
    - Nono

in my sql, how can i differentiate these 2 records??
    eg. the user wants to search for records that comes under the name 'Nono', what should be my sql???

i have try this:

SELECT *FROM Table1 WHERE name=Nono;

however it retrieves the record of 'nono', how can i retrieve the record of Nono????

**both are different records

pls advice
    nono

Provided Answers: 1
    Ok, I can understand your question now. In this case you have to join another field NRIC which is uniqu. i.e searching through both fields name and NRIC OR only NRIC

SELECT urTable.name, urTable.Nric
    FROM urTable
    WHERE (((urTable.name)="nonno") AND ((urTable.Nric)=215));

for example

hi

i have try the method u taught me but it still cannot work.

this is what i have written for my code.

s = "SELECT Sum([Balance]+[Quantity]) AS Total FROM Customer_Table INNER JOIN Customer_Account_Table ON Customer_Table.NRIC = Customer_Account_Table.NRIC GROUP BY Customer_Table.NRIC HAVING (((Customer_Table.NRIC)='" & [Forms]![Form1]![txtNRIC] & "') AND ((Customer_Table.Name)='" & [Forms]![Form1]![txtName] & "'));"

is my code correct??

nono

nono,

You are trying to do something that can't be done ... string searching in access is not case sensitive so your search would retrieve NONO NOno noNO NoNo nOnO and all the other permutations ... That is by design. What you can do is retrieve the records and apply string comparisons to reject those that do not exactly match ... Try looking at the InStr function and specifically the vbBinaryCompare option.

do u mean that if i use the InStr() function, it can solve my problem by differentiating the names???

eg. Nono, nono, n0no

i need guidelines on this function.
    eg.
    Dim SearchString, SearchChar, MyPos
    SearchString = me.txtMyTextField
    SearchChar = "P"

MyPos = Instr(1, SearchString, SearchChar, 1)

if i assign the SearchString as my input for user, then what should i assign value to SearchChar??

how can i apply this function into my scenario??

pls advice
    nono
    Last edited by damnnono_86; 11-06-03 at 22:49.