Unanswered: Referential integrity with no foreign key?

Hi,

I have two tables

TABLE 1

table1_id - primary key
    nice_desc

TABLE2
    table2_id - primary key
    nice_desc

Now, customer wants to ensure that values entered into the table2 column for nice_desc already exist in the TABLE1.

This isn't the seti I would like to have here .. was already implemented. I would like to have just zapped the nice_desc column from table2 and put table1_id there instead and then made table2.table1_id a foreign key. But I'm stuck .. this is an issue that extends the entire model.

I quess my question is .. is there any way to enforce referentical integrity and prevent redundancy without using triggers?? Or foreign keys? I don't think there is ..
    I'm working on DB2. Have tried the check constraint way .. but don't think this is an option.

ALTER TABLE table1 ADD CONSTRAINT "table1_ch3"
    CHECK (column in (select column from table2))
    ;

Any DB2 gurus out there?? Although I don't think that there is any nice solution to this .. other than redesign.

Thanks

Re: Referential integrity with no foreign key?

Hi,

you have got 3 options:

a) foreign keys
    b) triggers
    c) application logic

a) is best, and c is worst, of course.

Johann

Originally posted by maeveb
    Hi,

I have two tables

TABLE 1

table1_id - primary key
    nice_desc

TABLE2
    table2_id - primary key
    nice_desc

Now, customer wants to ensure that values entered into the table2 column for nice_desc already exist in the TABLE1.

This isn't the seti I would like to have here .. was already implemented. I would like to have just zapped the nice_desc column from table2 and put table1_id there instead and then made table2.table1_id a foreign key. But I'm stuck .. this is an issue that extends the entire model.

I quess my question is .. is there any way to enforce referentical integrity and prevent redundancy without using triggers?? Or foreign keys? I don't think there is ..
    I'm working on DB2. Have tried the check constraint way .. but don't think this is an option.

ALTER TABLE table1 ADD CONSTRAINT "table1_ch3"
    CHECK (column in (select column from table2))
    ;

Any DB2 gurus out there?? Although I don't think that there is any nice solution to this .. other than redesign.

Thanks