Unanswered: MDW and MDB file , it's a mess , please help

ok , here's my problem.

I have a database , lets call it process.mdb (access 2000) , we used the security wizard , go through it etc... setup the users , give them permissions etc... then it makes the mdw and a shortcut to the file and all is well...

I can open the database using the shortcut and logging in

I can't open the db by just opening process.mdb...

just like it should work..

EXCEPT...

now I need to move it onto a server for other people to use , so I grab all the files , alter the shortcut to change the path of the db and path of the mdw ( /wrkgrp .... ).

I can open the db by using the shortcut and logging in like before

<b> but I can also open it by opening process.mdb </b> !!!

makes no sense to me , can someone please offer some suggestions and help ?

by the way , I also tried making the mdw by opening the file from the server... same thing.

why doesn't it work like it should when it's made locally on a pc ?

anybody ?

Might be that when you have tried opening the file on the server after you have already joined the security workgroup that you've specified for it. Try joining the default system workgroup (there's a utility for it in the Office folder, and a detailed description in Access help) and then attempt opening the secured database.

I have multiple databases which were designed and secured on a local machine, then moved onto network, and then relocated onto different servers for several times over their lifetime, and never had that problem. And from what you've written you shouldn't have it as well.
    Last edited by Virgo-Libra; 11-07-03 at 05:23.
    Replies based on my configuration: Windows XP / Microsoft Office Access 2003 unless specified otherwise.

Smile Re: MDW and MDB file , it's a mess , please help

Originally posted by ZROUT
    ok , here's my problem.

I have a database , lets call it process.mdb (access 2000) , we used the security wizard , go through it etc... setup the users , give them permissions etc... then it makes the mdw and a shortcut to the file and all is well...

I can open the database using the shortcut and logging in

I can't open the db by just opening process.mdb...

just like it should work..

EXCEPT...

now I need to move it onto a server for other people to use , so I grab all the files , alter the shortcut to change the path of the db and path of the mdw ( /wrkgrp .... ).

I can open the db by using the shortcut and logging in like before

<b> but I can also open it by opening process.mdb </b> !!!

makes no sense to me , can someone please offer some suggestions and help ?
    Do you have all of the individual machines pointing to the server for the .mdw file? You mentioned changing the shortcut for the .mdw file but I have always had to join the workgroup file through the Workgroup Administer on each machine that will access the database.

May be off base but I thought I'd try.

Gregg