Unanswered: Installing SQL Server 2000 on a dual boot system

I don't know if this is possible but I'd like to install SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition on my dual boot system and have each instance of windows to have access to the same data held in SQL Server i.e. whichever instance of Windows I boot, when SQL Server loads it should share the same data store.

I've tried various custom installations but each time am frustrated to find that tables I create in SQL Server from the first instance of Windows cannot be accessed in SQL Server from the second instance of Windows.

I'm running:

2 instances of Windows 2000 SP3
    SQL Server 2000 SP3A

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Euge.

Howdy,

Reason I suspect is the the tran logs only write to the db every so often ( or unless you issue a checkpoint command ) so.....

(1) make sure both installs run the databases in SIMPLE recovery mode - this will ensure there is no lag in the tran logs.

(2) Just before you shut down one installation of sql , issue a CHECKPOINT command to the database being shared - this will force any data in the tran log to be written to the db.

(3) Detach the database from one version of SQL ( using exec sp_detach_db.......) immediately after the checkpoint - the sp_detach_db will "freeze" the db.

(4) Re-attach the same db files on the other installation of SQL ( using exec sp_attach_db ......) and repeat the same process when you shut this one down before going back to first installation of sql.

Oh, and make sure you access using dbo only at this stage - to keep it simple for yourself.

This should do it.

Cheers,

SG.
    Last edited by sqlguy7777; 11-06-03 at 20:38.

Thanks for your help. Everything seems to be working correctly now.

Euge.