Unanswered: Paradox 8.0 disk space?

The 8.0 database I have at work has problems seeing free diskspace above 1 gig. For example if drive G has 8.01 gig of free space, the database sees only .01 free. Sometimes when loading and processing large text files into the database this will cause the application to fail because it thinks the disk is full. Before importing a file I always need to check this, and often need to move copies of files into temp directories to change the amount of free space. Is there a fix for this?

Re: Paradox 8.0 disk space?

Originally posted by jdoyle
    The 8.0 database I have at work has problems seeing free diskspace above 1 gig. For example if drive G has 8.01 gig of free space, the database sees only .01 free. Sometimes when loading and processing large text files into the database this will cause the application to fail because it thinks the disk is full. Before importing a file I always need to check this, and often need to move copies of files into temp directories to change the amount of free space. Is there a fix for this?
    As the typical size of a disk increases, the number of bits required to express the quantity grows ever-larger. First it was 32 bits; now 64 and larger. If you are running into this problem, upgrading your Paradox version is likely to be the only answer...

You see, while you might expect that the "older" APIs would simply return "the largest possible integer" in response to a disk-space query... usually they don't do that. They return "the low-order words." Only part of the answer, and if viewed as the total correct answer, the WRONG number. Kind of like splitting the decimal number 987,654,321 into "54,321" as though that were the right answer. But that's what Microsoft did and it can't be changed now.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

I would like to upgrade to db to a later version; however, the designers of the db left the company years ago, and I don't have a lot of experience with Paradox databases. I wish I had more time to learn it I'm worried an upgrade might cause some of the older scripts to stop working, and since this is a billing system I can't take the chance. Thanks for the explanation.

Lightbulb

You can reasonably expect that ust updating the BDE version that runs underneath it (see http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde) will probably fix your problem.

The BDE is the database access layer that actually talks to the files.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com