Red face Unanswered: Splitting a database - wizard works, manual does not?

Hi there, I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I want to split my database into a front-end and back-end and when I do so with the wizard it works OK but still has a large file size for the front-end. If I do it manually the file sizes are much smaller but I get an Error when I load the main form to do with a DAO object? Why would the wizard work but the manul way not? Thank you for any help.

WestWood

Because the wizard exports the tables (no code) to a new database, whereas you manually import the forms/reports/modules (objects that are code oriented).

If you're importing the forms to a new front-end in Access 2000 (or XP), it doesn't have the reference to DAO set, you have to establish it manually: open a module, then go to Tools-References, scroll down till you find Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object library and check it.

Or change your code to ADO.

Tip: after splitting the database using the wizard, compact both resulting files.

HTH

Smile Re: Splitting a database - wizard works, manual does not?

Originally posted by Westwood
    Hi there, I have a problem I hope you can help me with. I want to split my database into a front-end and back-end and when I do so with the wizard it works OK but still has a large file size for the front-end. If I do it manually the file sizes are much smaller but I get an Error when I load the main form to do with a DAO object? Why would the wizard work but the manul way not? Thank you for any help.

WestWood
    I've always found it easiest to split manually. I simply make a copy of the database. Then I go into one copy and delete all the objects except the tables. I do the opposite with the other database and leave all of the objects but the tables. Put the database with the tables where you want it and compact the database. Go to the copy that has all the other objects (Forms, Reports etc..) and in the database window, right click and select Link Tables. Navigate to the database with the tables and select all of them. Then compact the database with the linked tables.

There you go.

I've not had any problems with this method.

Gregg

Talking

Thank you for your help, you solved my problems!!

I have always used Gregg's method. I guess I just don't trust Microsoft's Wizardry enough on something so important as this

The only thing I often do differently is I often will link the tables into my front end before deleting them. This will make the linked CustomerTable become CustomerTable1 and then after I delete the original (unlinked) CustomerTable from the front end I have to rename (linked) CustomerTable1 to CustomerTable. This is perhaps a long way to get around the problem that I might forget a table, which can happen if you've got > 50 tables to link and some from several sources.

But, if you open a query and the underlying table is not there--even if you don't save it--it's gone, so I learned the hard way: also make a copy of the whole thing before you split it and don't delete it until you've seen your split db working well for a while. (If IT complains about hogging space when you do this, just stick it on your C:drive. Don't count on last night's backup....)