Unanswered: restarting sybase server with offline databases

Folks,
    I have one offline database on a warm standby server which usually gets tran logs from the primary and applies it to the warm standby with no clustering or replication involved. Now, I have to take down my server with the database offline . Earlier, I had tried to bring it up with the offline database but it could not recover it or it did not leave it alone which is quite logical. Now, can I bring it down and bring it up with the trace flag that directs the server to recover only online databases. Will that work ??? If yes, then what is the trace flag?????
    or any other suggestions also welcome.
    Regards

subhas

There is no such trace flag. Databases are either online, offiline or quiesced. Recovery is detremined at server startup or when online database command is issued. Quiesce is a special status.

So in short, all you have to do is recycle the server and databases that are okay will be onlined and the one's in trouble will be unavailable with an error in the log.

Hey Willy,
    Thanks for answering. But what happens if my database was offline when I rebooted the server. My database is just offline due to loads but no other problems in the database. Whenever, I reboot the machine, it tries and recovering the offline database but fails and then marks the database corrupt. What should I do so that after the rebbot the database remains offline and would let me load tran loads from the primary server.............

Regards

Subhas

Originally posted by jaideep
    My database is just offline due to loads but no other problems in the database. Whenever, I reboot the machine, it tries and recovering the offline database but fails and then marks the database corrupt.
    Offline databases does not necessarily mean that they are corrupt. In your case, you must have issued a shutdown with nowait while load was going on for that database to be in this state.

If that's indeed the case, then the only choice that you have got with this database is to drop it completely and re-create a new one.