Progress Vs Sql Server

Hi,

I am try to choose an ERP system for the company I'm working for and I have narrowed the choice down to two.

Solution A) One is a Progress bases solution which uses IIS and java for their e-commerce bit.

Soltuion B) The other uses visual basic for the client and SQL Server for the database. It uses resin as a jsp server for the e-comerce bit.

Solution B's GUI is superior to A

I've recommended B but we've been in business with A for 15 years.

Is progress still around or going to be around? I would put my money on sql server over progress.

CopyKat

Perhaps I'm prejudice, as a Progress consultant, but Progress has been and will be around for a LONG time.

I don't see the any advantage of VB over Progress concerning GUI - What version of Progress are you using?

I'd recommend keeping and updating the Progress, and utilizing WebSpeed ( another Progress product ) as the e-commerce interface.

Just something to think about. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Progress is ok?

I am just started using progress and as a database it isa v good product if you are will to let a few things slide like usability for one

The app builder (the development environment) is a disgrace and im not even going to elaborate, il just see if some fool want to disagree first.

Bit cheeky i know...!

Web speed is their web application, it is totally pant, i wish they'd ( or someone) would make some super quick PHP drivers for it and i'd neva have to use it again

So what is progress....BOONCH!!!

You know, DR240... you're absolutely right!

App Builder is functional, but not a delight to use. It's EASIER to write the applications yourself.

As far as speed and ease of development, however, PROGRESS is STILL the most excellent environment. That is, if you haven't grown up with such cryptic commands as: ++, ==, {, +=, ~,|\, etc.

I, personally, prefer my programs in English:

for each dr240 where ( dr240.cryptic )
    exclusive:

update dr240.

end.