Unanswered: scripting/ coding question

In order to successfully administer Oracle 9i, can most tasks be done through the GUI or does most of it need to be done by way of scripting? Also, is it typical for Oracle DBA's to write a lot of stored procs or is that more something for the developers?
    Thanks in advance.
    ChrisR

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    It depends.
    Personally given the choice, I script.
    Once a script is debugged, it gives 100% reliable results.
    Typing and clicking into a GUI is error prone.
    Many, many things need to be done to a database
    at a time when I do not want to be in front of a keyboard.
    I'd rather be sleeping.
    If all you can do is point a click, I don't want you working with/for me.

Re: scripting/ coding question

Originally posted by MSSQL DBA
    In order to successfully administer Oracle 9i, can most tasks be done through the GUI or does most of it need to be done by way of scripting? Also, is it typical for Oracle DBA's to write a lot of stored procs or is that more something for the developers?
    You will find that most establishments who use oracle db's are big! the systems allways require interface between the various components, and so a lot of handcrafted scriptng has to be done, you'd be better off scripting, it is generally seen as more reliable... you could find yourself writing stored procs, the nature of the database is that everything is stored in tables, so the dba has be as clued up about how it all fits together, more so than anyone else!
    rgs,

Ghostman

I also agree with the above 2 responses...
    As a DBA, you HAVE to know the data, how the users are going to USE the data according to your busness needs. You HAVE to understand the data relationships and access paths BETTER than anyone else...

As far as GUI's ... If you don't understand how to get the data by writing scripts, or write SQL statements that write your scripts for you, you will have a hard time beening truely effective as an DBA. You must understand (or have some knowledge) of the internal database engine. SQLServer is pretty cut and dry ... There is little "tuning" that can be done, but with Oracle, you tune to match YOUR environment

HTH
    Gregg

I agree about the scripting, while you can do alot with GUIs like DBA Studio, scripting is much more efficient.

If you're trying to learn though DBA Studio is nice because there is almost always a little button called 'Show SQL' that will show you the code of what you're about to do in the GUI, comes in handy when you can't remember the exact syntax for something, good for learning too.
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com