Post Unanswered: reindex primary key after append query

Hello,

I performed an append action query on a table to have the records from one table append to a new table. The new table was empty. The primary key (ID) was auto-increment. There were 563 records appended to a empty table.

After the append query, the first record has an ID of 564. For some reason auto-increment started at 564.

Is there another query of tool within ACCESS to reindex the primary key ?

Does the table you appended from have an auto-increment field? If so, then when you do an append you have to drop the auto-increment column ... Access fills that column when doing any adds.

On your reindex question: NO. You have to delete, recreate, and repopulate to resequence this kind of table ...

MOwen and 24jedi are right.... you'd have to drop the original index and repopulate the table to re-index it. This is because in most cases people want to keep the original index numbers intact.... it's a feature that savaed a lot of trouble here a few times...

Thanks.

The original table (source) that had the 563 records did not have an auto-increment field.

The table I was appending to (destination) DID have an auto-increment field, which was also the PK. This table was also empty.

What confused me was that after I imported the records, the auto-increment started at 564, one more that the totla number of records being imported.

As a test, I created a copy (structure only) of the destination table and appended to it. The auto-increment started at 1, just as expected.

I understand the significance of maintaining the orignal index, but in this case I was appending to a blank table.

Anyway, I deleted the destination table and renamed the copied test table. Everything still works. Thanks for the insight.

Don