Thread: Toolsdb

Unanswered: Toolsdb

Hi all. I hope some can help with this.

One month ago, we lost a RAID array on an AIX 4.3 RS6000 server. This server contains our DB2 database. We have another similar config in another city. All our DB2 data was safe, however, we lost all our home directories, which stores user files. In order to access the DB2 database and Data Warehouse, we needed to use some accounts from our other location as templates. So that being said, here is my problem.
    We run the backup on our DB2 databases from Windows using the Command Center and Journal. While the backups work fine, it seems that there is an issue with the toolsdb, because I can only seem to catalog the backups to our other location. To this point, this solution has been working. We are able to catalog and run our backups without a problem. However, it annoys me to have our catalogs stored remotely and require a network connection to go back and view archived jobs. When I create the job (DB2 8.1 wizard), only the remote catalog shows up as an option.
    I issued a db2 create new catalog cc create new database toolsdb, however, it says the alias already exists. So toolsdb is here locally somewhere, but may be unaccessable.
    As you can see by my username, I am new to DB2 and am taking over since our Unix admin (who was the one responsible for not backing up the home folders) was shown the exit.

Any help appreciated.

Josh

/bump

Any ideas?

Hi /bump,

you can try to remove toolsdb using these commands:
    $ db2 drop db toolsdb

If this fails, try:
    $ db2 uncatalog db toolsdb

In theory, after that, your environment should be clean and you can recreate a local toolsdb.

Take a backup, and assign a maintenance window to that task, unless your toolsdb is located in a db2 instance of its own. If something goes wrong, you may want to restart the instance.

Johann

Originally posted by Nu2db2
    /bump

Any ideas?