Unanswered: Import Table and Data From Mainframe DB2

Hi;
    We have a DB2 v6.5 running on OS/390 and I would like to export some tables with data from Mainframe DB2 to a DB2 v8.1 Enterprise Edition running Windows 2000 Server. I couldn't find any tools on DB2 Enterprise Edn so, I used DTS from SQL server 2000 and tried to import/export some tables.

It is kind of working. What I meant by that is, in some cases when I try to import some tables it doesnt work at all and in some cases it will create the table on my DB2 on Windows but It doesn't populate with data. In some cases it created the tables on my DB2 on Windows and populated with data. So, it doesn't make much sense to me why it works sometimes and sometime don't work.

So, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    bjmp

Re: Import Table and Data From Mainframe DB2

Hi mphilip,

you should try to create the tables on your target platform first. Ask the host people for the DDL as required. When all else fails, use ODBC to make an educated guess to the datatypes.

After that, try to populate the tables, using ODBC or DTS or whatever.
    If you need to do this regularly, think about automating this using your own DB2 client application or, if you require transporting lots of data, use export, transfer files, then load.

There is no easily available tool to do this I know of.

Originally posted by mphilip
    Hi;
    We have a DB2 v6.5 running on OS/390 and I would like to export some tables with data from Mainframe DB2 to a DB2 v8.1 Enterprise Edition running Windows 2000 Server. I couldn't find any tools on DB2 Enterprise Edn so, I used DTS from SQL server 2000 and tried to import/export some tables.

It is kind of working. What I meant by that is, in some cases when I try to import some tables it doesnt work at all and in some cases it will create the table on my DB2 on Windows but It doesn't populate with data. In some cases it created the tables on my DB2 on Windows and populated with data. So, it doesn't make much sense to me why it works sometimes and sometime don't work.

So, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    bjmp

Re: Import Table and Data From Mainframe DB2

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi mphilip,

you should try to create the tables on your target platform first. Ask the host people for the DDL as required. When all else fails, use ODBC to make an educated guess to the datatypes.

After that, try to populate the tables, using ODBC or DTS or whatever.
    If you need to do this regularly, think about automating this using your own DB2 client application or, if you require transporting lots of data, use export, transfer files, then load.

There is no easily available tool to do this I know of.

Thanks for the reply;
    Yes, I tried the DDL from the mainframe people but windows version of DB2 doesn't understand most of the keywords in mainframe DDL. So, might as well write the whole thing from scratch. I figured that there isn't any easy way around so, I might create the tables first and then try to populate it wth data.