The extremely Royal borough of Kensington, London

Unanswered: Authenticated File Downloads

Hi,

Suppose I have a link to /stuff/test.zip, i only want this file accessible if a valid session has been detected for access rights.

Could someone please tell me where to look for answers as I do not want to implement download.asp?file=test.zip or similar.

The html source must be <a href=/stuff/test.zip>Download</a> to which i must validate the user.

Thanks.

What is the condition of the access rights - and when do you validate ?

Re: Authenticated File Downloads

Change the file acess from iuser to a newly created user for that file only, then when some1 hits the link they will get a windows logon box, thus is they know the uname and pass wamo they have the file if not, they get a not authorized page

their is a user's table, to which if the user does not have a valid session which is created through a login page then they are redirected back to the login page.
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

Do you have a session object that establishes permission level based on login ? If so, you can use this session object to enable/disable the link.

If I understand the question correctly wouldn't you have to build something to intercept all HTTP requests and if that http request is pointing to a downloadable file (perhaps identified by being in a particular directory) the check a db or something for a valid session.

Yeah?

That is the question yes, I don't have any session(s) / objects already created I'm trying to identify how this would be done. Below is a simple process of events that would happen.

New user/

1. root/test/files.zip
    2. new session thus redirect root/login.asp?redirect=test/files.zip
    3. visits root/various.index.html
    4. root/test/files2.zip
    5. files2.zip downloaded as session already created.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rokslide
    If I understand the question correctly wouldn't you have to build something to intercept all HTTP requests and if that http request is pointing to a downloadable file (perhaps identified by being in a particular directory) the check a db or something for a valid session.

Yeah?
    Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk!
    Churchill: And Madam, you are ugly. And tomorrow, I'll be sober, and you will still be ugly.

so basically you are talking some kind of isapi dll from my understanding of what these things do.... which I admit is very limited....

You have 2 choices - isapi filter or isapi server extension.

filter - will run for every url - use this if you want to check every url submitted.
    server extension - runs only when invoked - specific to that particular url - e.g. http://www.mywebsite.com/runthis.dll? - allows you to create a customized download functionality. Put the files a non-iis directory while allowing the dll access based on authorization.

Have you developed in ms vc++ or delphi ?