Unanswered: sqlserver2000 install problems error 703

have Windows ME. I have downloaded the evalutation SQL Server2000 and installed no problem many months ago. I have since unistalled it.

Recenty I have been attempting to install SQL Server Personal/Standard edition from CD to my PC. I continue to get the following error: "An internal error has occured on c:\windows\temp.ins. Unable to load installation instructions. Error 703."

I have followed the instructions on a previous post, such as renaming the C:\Windows\Temp and Tmp pointer in AutoExec etc etc .

This is a standalone PC and I assume I have permissions on all folders. I have also been advised to to make sure there is no space in the directory. I am not sure what this means.

If there is anyone out there who can explain the above, or give any other sugggestions to this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been messing with this for weeks, to no avail

Thank you
    Ann

Re: sqlserver2000 install problems error 703

I don't know where it is maintained in ME but you have an environment variable called tmp and temp. These are pointers to the tmp/temp directories.

You need to change these so there are no spaces in the values assigned to these environment variables... atleast that is what I understand from reading this...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q308831

Re: sqlserver2000 install problems error 703

Originally posted by rokslide
    I don't know where it is maintained in ME but you have an environment variable called tmp and temp. These are pointers to the tmp/temp directories.

You need to change these so there are no spaces in the values assigned to these environment variables... atleast that is what I understand from reading this...

[url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308831[/uTrl]
    Thanks for replying. In win me, I can go into msconfig, thats where I changed "C:\Windows\Temp" to "C:\Temp" (and did the same for C:\tmp as suggested by a previous post. Still getting the same error. When you say "no spaces", do you mean no spaces in the "C:\Temp" line?

Thanks

That's what I understand from that article..... I really don't see why it would make a difference though.... *shrug* sorry I can't be of more help.