Angry Unanswered: Global string storage and call

I am looking for a little help with global modules declartion and call up.

I am used to VB6 and are new to Access 2000. in VB if I wanted to run multipal reports with the same date range I could declair global strings and then call them and print them with the same wording on multipal reports.

For example. I would place in coding if in november and I run sales tax report the function would calculate automatically that I am looking for Octobers by setting 2 global strings dbeginst & dendst to 10/01/2003 and 10/31/2003 and inject them into a between statement and then run the report thru the query and inject the header "Sales Tax Report for " + dbeginst + " to " + dendst, and print on the report.

The only way I have been able to do this function correctly is to create 2 text boxes and call them in from a form after setting them and to then go back and recall the text boxes by putting a label on the report then a text box for the begin date and then a label for the to and then another text box.

this seems a little extreme when i can do this all with code in VB6 but the report gives me errors if i don't do it in the later way.

Could some body shed some light on what I am missing here. I know access works different, but I must be doing something wrong?

Smile Re: Global string storage and call

Originally posted by tbz

I am used to VB6 and are new to Access 2000. in VB if I wanted to run multipal reports with the same date range I could declair global strings and then call them and print them with the same wording on multipal reports.

For example. I would place in coding if in november and I run sales tax report the function would calculate automatically that I am looking for Octobers by setting 2 global strings dbeginst & dendst to 10/01/2003 and 10/31/2003 and inject them into a between statement and then run the report thru the query and inject the header "Sales Tax Report for " + dbeginst + " to " + dendst, and print on the report.

The only way I have been able to do this function correctly is to create 2 text boxes and call them in from a form after setting them and to then go back and recall the text boxes by putting a label on the report then a text box for the begin date and then a label for the to and then another text box.

this seems a little extreme when i can do this all with code in VB6 but the report gives me errors if i don't do it in the later way.

Could some body shed some light on what I am missing here. I know access works different, but I must be doing something wrong?
    It should not be that much different. I use standard modules quite frequently to submit data to reports and to perform calculations within queries. Declare a Public Function in a standard module and you can then use it anywhere within Access.

Hope this helps.

Gregg

Lightbulb

You need to make sure (a) that the variable being used to store the value is global; and (b) that you write a function that returns the value. Other parts of Access cannot directly reach VBA variable-values, but they can see public functions... which can be used to expose them.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Re: Global string storage and call

Originally posted by tbz

You could use the OpenArgs option of the Docmd.OpenReport command to pass variables into a report. You can only change the report layout in the Report Open event. You could use code such as:

' Put this any where in your code that will call the report
    DoCmd.OpenReport ReportName:="MyReport", View:=acPreview, WhereCondition:="Between #" & dbeginst "# And #" & dendst & "#", OpenArgs:="Sales Tax Report For " + dbeginst + " to " + dendst

' Put this in your report
    Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    If Len(Me.OpenArgs) Then _
    Me("lblReportTitle").Caption = Me.OpenArgs
    End Sub

Thanks everyone

I did not know you have to declare a public.

And thanks for the line of code it worked great.