Thread: DB modeler?

Unanswered: DB modeler?

Hi all,
    I'm looking to extract an older program to view the way it's relationships were linked. (It has a couple files I'm not real sure what there intent was and I'm trying to figure it out). So what are the recommended programs yall are using to extract files and view their modeling? The program I'm trying to work with is mostly dbIII files.
    If this isn't enough info, let me know. thanks.

Hi inzzane,

dBaseIII plus files used separate index files to allow sorting of data. As far as I know they do not have file relationships in the manner that modern databases do. Also, don't forget that dBase was a complete programming language which incorporated database type files. How the data files interacted is determined solely by the steps set out in the programme files. If you do not have the dBase structure files on your computer, any programme files (those with extensions .PRG and .PRC) can be read with a text editor. (If not, then you can read them in the DOS window using the EDIT command). The programming syntax is pretty easy to understand and you should be able to reproduce it in your preferred language.

If you want to read the data files (those with the extension .DBF) the best way is to import them into a microsoft Access database as tables. If you are using Access XP, you might experience a problem...if so import them into Access 98 or earlier and them imoprt them from there into Access XP.

Hope this helps but if you have further questions e-mail me on taxes@onetel.net.uk.

Regards,
    taxes.
    taxes

Hi inzzane,

Just one point I ommitted.

Releationships between files in dBase III plus could be established through View files ( extensions .VUE). These are temporary files established at run time and incorporated chosen fields from selected tables. You can only inspect these files if you have the dBase structure.

By the way, the only use of the Index files ( extension .NDX) is to give quick access to sorted data and you canot examine them. If the programmer used good practice, the name of the Index file should give you an idea of it's purpose e.g. if the NAME.DBF is the name of the data file, then NAME1.NDX would be used to sort NAME.DBF using the first field of each row. (All file names were limited to 8 characters, so you might conceivably have an index file NAME????.NDX where ???? are the first characters of the field name)

Regards,

taxes.
    taxes

Thanx taxes,
    That does answer a good bit of questions I've had on it. That was about the only file that still had me stumped on how to examine it, and it's purpose. Appreciate the help.