Unanswered: Instruction error - desperate help needed

I am getting an application error - INSTRUCTION 00x00444d4 at referenced memory 0x00000112....

Can anyone please:
    1. tell me what this means
    2. tell me how to fix this and not let it happen again....

every time it blows up is in the middle of a script request where multiples files are in place..

I m using FM5....Windows 2000 Professional.....

I've seen errors like that occur in FileMaker when certain functions are used in calculations (field calcs, scripted IF calcs, set field calcs, etc). The main offender that comes to mind is the getField function, however other self-examining functions could be the culprit.

I think the status functions are fairly safe; I've never encountered a problem with a status(current...) function.

Also, you could try saving the database as a compressed copy (File > Save a Copy as... > Save a: compressed copy (smaller) )

Can you tell us more about what script steps are used near the crash?

-Mariano

Question Re: Instruction error - desperate help needed

I also get an error of type occasionally with FM.exe trying to read or write an instruction into memory. Although I haven't completely solved the issue, let me ask you this: 1) Are you accessing FM server records. 2) Are you using a developer version of FM. 3) Do you have more than 1 version of FM on your computer (developer and 6.0) and 4) if your accessing records from FM server, do you have a shared access to another folder on the same server?
    My gut feeling is a bad memory chip, but because this happens very infrequently and only with this program, I'm searching for other answers based on the above questions.

Originally posted by Rdowning
    I am getting an application error - INSTRUCTION 00x00444d4 at referenced memory 0x00000112....

Can anyone please:
    1. tell me what this means
    2. tell me how to fix this and not let it happen again....

every time it blows up is in the middle of a script request where multiples files are in place..

I m using FM5....Windows 2000 Professional.....
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions

Talking Re: Instruction error - desperate help needed

Since I posted this note I went throught several troubleshooting steps and cleaned out a few things.

1. I transferred the project application folder close to home, meaning Filemaker Pro's folder
    2. I limited the amount of files open to 8 files
    3. I checked the scripts routine...I found some scripts using external script had IP addresses next to it for some reason
    4. Some buttons were configure to pause when the script was rolling on a subsequent step....

it hasn't blown up yet....

Re: Instruction error - desperate help needed

That's it the IP addresses.

Originally posted by Rdowning
    Since I posted this note I went throught several troubleshooting steps and cleaned out a few things.

1. I transferred the project application folder close to home, meaning Filemaker Pro's folder
    2. I limited the amount of files open to 8 files
    3. I checked the scripts routine...I found some scripts using external script had IP addresses next to it for some reason
    4. Some buttons were configure to pause when the script was rolling on a subsequent step....

it hasn't blown up yet....
    Rick Knight
    KnightShift Office Solutions and Horse Breaking
    VB, VBA, FileMaker, Access Solutions, Web Solutions