Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Unanswered: IDS 9.3 multi-language support

    Dear All,

    Has anyone worked on Informixmultli-language. If yes how can we do the settings to support multi-lingual. I need to support 5 different languages. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29
    One of the ways you can support five languages is
    by creating database in utf8 codeset.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262
    Originally posted by Amit Dandekar
    One of the ways you can support five languages is
    by creating database in utf8 codeset.
    Hi Amit,

    Thanks for your feedback, any ideas on how do we create our database in utf8 codeset. I have IDS 9.3 on sun solaris 8.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    Here is how you can do it using dbaccess
    set
    DB_LOCALE=en_us.utf8
    and create the database using dbaccess.

    Also make sure that you have DB_LOCALE set to en_us.utf8
    on client mahcines as well.

    You may refer to IBM Informix GLS users guide for
    more information about locales and codesets.
    http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ct1snna.pdf

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262
    Originally posted by am_dan
    Here is how you can do it using dbaccess
    set
    DB_LOCALE=en_us.utf8
    and create the database using dbaccess.

    Also make sure that you have DB_LOCALE set to en_us.utf8
    on client mahcines as well.

    You may refer to IBM Informix GLS users guide for
    more information about locales and codesets.
    http://publibfi.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ct1snna.pdf
    Hi there,

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262
    Hi there,

    Apart from setting DB_LOCALE what other env variables need to be set. Can you give an example of multi-language. Suppose if set DB_LOCALE to utf8, then create a database and a table. How to check if it supports multi-language.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    IDS Global Language Suppor

    Hi all,

    I have set
    DB_LOCALE=en_us.utf8 at the server
    and created a database and table.
    Now how to check whether the database supports multi-language.
    How to insert values. Any other env variables need to be set.
    Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    29

    Re: IDS Global Language Suppor

    1) This is how you can ensure that the database is in utf8 codeset
    start dbaccess and select your database.
    then Select "Info" followed by "Nls"
    You should see en_US.57372 .

    2) utf8 is a codeset which can be used to store characters from
    a variery of languages.
    See following link to see more information about
    Unicode and utf-8 codeset.
    see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#utf-8

    3) Information will be lost if you convert any text string
    from any codeset to utf8 codeset and vice versa.

    4) You need to make sure that you have set CLIENT_LOCALE
    and DB_LOCALE correctly to ensure that IBM informix clients
    codeset convert the data correctly before they insert it in the
    database.

    For example , if you are using JDBC to insert character data ,
    java String which is in unicode shall be converted to utf8 codeset
    by the JDBC driver before inserting in the database.
    As java strings are in unicode , they can contain characters from
    one or more languages.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: IDS Global Language Suppor

    Hi Amit,

    Thanks a lot for your feedback. I have IDS 9.4 trial ver. I
    set the DB_LOCALE = en_us.utf8 and created a new database, when i selected the database and selected "Infor" followed by "NLS" i could see

    NLS Capabilities and Attributes
    en_US.57372 Collating Sequence
    en_US.57372 CType

    Do i need to set CLIENT_LOCALE=en_us.utf8, i will be inserting data thru dbaccess, so i have not set it.
    Now i created a table thru dbaccess. How do i come to know that my database supports multi-language now. I want to insert data to my table in such a way that it supports english, french, japanese etc. Can you please give some examples in inserting data, also do i have to define my columns with datatype nchar or nvarchar. Please advice.

    Best Regards,

    Lloyd

    Originally posted by Amit Dandekar
    1) This is how you can ensure that the database is in utf8 codeset
    start dbaccess and select your database.
    then Select "Info" followed by "Nls"
    You should see en_US.57372 .

    2) utf8 is a codeset which can be used to store characters from
    a variery of languages.
    See following link to see more information about
    Unicode and utf-8 codeset.
    see http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html#utf-8

    3) Information will be lost if you convert any text string
    from any codeset to utf8 codeset and vice versa.

    4) You need to make sure that you have set CLIENT_LOCALE
    and DB_LOCALE correctly to ensure that IBM informix clients
    codeset convert the data correctly before they insert it in the
    database.

    For example , if you are using JDBC to insert character data ,
    java String which is in unicode shall be converted to utf8 codeset
    by the JDBC driver before inserting in the database.
    As java strings are in unicode , they can contain characters from
    one or more languages.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2
    When the client application begins execution, it compares the names of the client and database locales to determine whether to perform code-set conversion. If the CLIENT_LOCALE and DB_LOCALE environment variables are set, the client application uses these locale names to determine the client and database code sets, respectively.

    If CLIENT_LOCALE is not set , the client application assumes that the client locale is the default locale. Informix products use the U.S. 8859-1 English locale as the default locale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •