Unanswered: Could not read definitions

I open my db and log in. When I try to open any thing other than create new I get this message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query.

So here is what I have tried. I go into Tools, Security, User-Level Security Wizard. Modify my current workgroup info file. I choose select all at each tab, i.e. Tables, Queries, etc. and add this user to all groups. I check yes, I would like to grant some permissions to the User. I check Administer at each tab. I assign a new user name and password. Now I choose the users name I just created and assign the user to admins group and then click finish. I exit the program and the reopen the database and try to open a table or query and get the same message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query. So I go into Tool, Security, User and Groups Permissions and no of the permissions that I assigned are checked so I check Administer and then apply and I get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object'. To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it. I go to Tools, Security, User and Group Accounts, choose the user that I just created and it shows that he is a member of Admins and Users.

Now if I remember right when I created this user I gave him administer rights, but yet he cannot open a single thing.

I have tried importing, exporting and linking the objects and I get: You don't have permission to import export, or link to 'Object'. To import, export, or link to this object, you must have Read Design and Read Data permissions for it.

I have tried changing the owner using the admin account and it is part of the admins group, but when I try to change the ownership I still get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object". To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it

I am at a loss as to what to do and I need the info that is in this db.

Mike

Re: Could not read definitions

Originally posted by blacktide
    I open my db and log in. When I try to open any thing other than create new I get this message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query.

So here is what I have tried. I go into Tools, Security, User-Level Security Wizard. Modify my current workgroup info file. I choose select all at each tab, i.e. Tables, Queries, etc. and add this user to all groups. I check yes, I would like to grant some permissions to the User. I check Administer at each tab. I assign a new user name and password. Now I choose the users name I just created and assign the user to admins group and then click finish. I exit the program and the reopen the database and try to open a table or query and get the same message: Could not read definitions; no read definitions for the table or query. So I go into Tool, Security, User and Groups Permissions and no of the permissions that I assigned are checked so I check Administer and then apply and I get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object'. To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it. I go to Tools, Security, User and Group Accounts, choose the user that I just created and it shows that he is a member of Admins and Users.

Now if I remember right when I created this user I gave him administer rights, but yet he cannot open a single thing.

I have tried importing, exporting and linking the objects and I get: You don't have permission to import export, or link to 'Object'. To import, export, or link to this object, you must have Read Design and Read Data permissions for it.

I have tried changing the owner using the admin account and it is part of the admins group, but when I try to change the ownership I still get You Can't Change Permissions for this "Object". To Change Permissions for this object you must have Administer permissions for it

Mike
    I have had this problem in the past and it was because of a corrupt database. You need to repair and compact the database, then try to import the objects into a new database. If your database is approaching the 1 gig size limit that Access imposes (I am assuming you are using an mdb and not an adp file) you should just repair the database first, then export the objects. Compacting the database will probably push the database over 1 gig and then Access falls apart!

I just tried to compact and repair the data base and then import it, but I still get "You don't have permission to import export, or link to 'Object'. To import, export, or link to this object, you must have Read Design and Read Data permissions for it."

Re: Could not read definitions

Try opening your db using systems security file (the security file that comes with ms access). If you can open it up successfully without a hitch, then your db is good and somethings wrong with your security file.

Mike

All right so I open secured.mdw with my admin account.
    I hope this is the file you were talking about, but I still cannot open anything in DB1. Here is something strange. I have two databases. DB1 and DB2. They both use this in their shortcuts:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "N:\QC\Access\db1.mdb" /WRKGRP "N:\QC\Access\Secured.mdw"

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "N:\QC\Access\db2.mdb" /WRKGRP "N:\QC\Access\Secured.mdw"

So this tells me that they both are using the same file for their security function, right??

I can open and change anything I want to in DB2. I am confused.

Mike

No what I meant was to to link to the basic system.mdw file. You can search for this security file on your pc. its name is system.mdw

Normally it is in C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\SYSTEM.MDW

you can connect to this file using wrkgadm.exe utility.

Then open your db and see if you can do whatever you want to do. If you are successful then your db is good and something needs to be fixed in your security file.

Then we can move ahead with other options as how to fix the secured.mdw file

By linking to it I assume that you meant doing something like this: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\windows\Desktop\db1.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\System.mdw"?

Going into it this way I get the same result. Could not read definitions.

I also executed the wrkgadm.exe utility and successfully joined the workgroup and I received the same message.

So then I went one step further and instead of joining the workgroup I created a new workgroup which created a new system.mdw on my desktop and linked my shortcut to this file. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\windows\Desktop\db1.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\windows\Desktop\System.mdw" Now my db opens with out asking for a user or a password and I still get the same error message Could not read definitions.

Did I go down the right path here?

Mike

ummm.boy you got yourself one messed up db..!!!!!

By linking to it I assume that you meant doing something like this: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\windows\Desktop\db1.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\System.mdw"?

Going into it this way I get the same result. Could not read definitions.

I also executed the wrkgadm.exe utility and successfully joined the workgroup and I received the same message.

So then I went one step further and instead of joining the workgroup I created a new workgroup which created a new system.mdw on my desktop and linked my shortcut to this file. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\windows\Desktop\db1.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\windows\Desktop\System.mdw" Now my db opens with out asking for a user or a password and I still get the same error message Could not read definitions.

Did I go down the right path here?

Mike

Uh Yeah I know

Thanks for trying to help though