Unanswered: Forms and Controls

Hello out there,

I want to make a form where where one control determines what happens in another control. Specifically, I created a drop down box in which i want the user to seleect a field. Once the field is selected, i want a list box to display the names of people where the previously selected field is Null. I want to know if there is way of doing this wihtout using a call back funciton or arrays. This is what i tried, it makes sense but i think there are syntaxt problems.

Private Sub MissingField_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

Dim item As Variant

item = Forms!MissingItems!MissingField

Me!List6.RowSourceType = "Table/Query"
    Me!List6.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name" & _
    "FROM tbl_Contact" & _
    "WHERE IsNull(tbl_Contact.item)" & _
    "ORDER BY tbl_Contact.first_name;"

End Sub

Any help is much appreciated

Re: Forms and Controls

Originally posted by dannypolo
    Hello out there,

I want to make a form where where one control determines what happens in another control. Specifically, I created a drop down box in which i want the user to seleect a field. Once the field is selected, i want a list box to display the names of people where the previously selected field is Null. I want to know if there is way of doing this wihtout using a call back funciton or arrays. This is what i tried, it makes sense but i think there are syntaxt problems.

Dim item As Variant

"FROM tbl_Contact" & _

End Sub

Put spaces before the " , I mean: Select tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name " &

The sintax of IsNull:

IsNull(tbl_Contact.item) = TRUE
    My environment: Windows XP/ Access 2000 - Using Microsoft DAO 3.6 Library

Smile Re: Forms and Controls

Originally posted by dannypolo
    Hello out there,

Dim item As Variant

"FROM tbl_Contact" & _

End Sub

You might want to put some spaces in between words first and I would also reword the Where clause to "Where [tbl_contact].[item] Is Null;"
    Declare a variable such as strSQL to store the SQL in first and then use a MsgBox function or the debug window to display the SQL string before using it to see how it looks. You can usually spot missing spaces and quote marks this way. You can also create it in the query design grid and specify a specific criterea to see how a working model looks.

Me!List6.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name " & _
    "FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE IsNull(tbl_Contact.item) " & _

Gregg

Thanks for your help.

Im tryingt to fill the list box with this code, but it doesnt seem to work. It keeps giving me a pop up asking me to enter a parameter value. I tried another approach using a SELECT statement to identify what the user has chosen and then simply using that value as the WHERE condition. For instance, if telephone is chosen then WHERE IsNull(tbl_Contact.telephone) is the condition however this doesnt fill the box, from VB but when i copy the SQL in the design view it works. What the hell is going on!

Thanks guys i got it this is what i used:

Dim item As Variant

Select Case item

Case "téléphone"

Me!List6.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_Contact.first_name, tbl_Contact.last_name " & _
    "FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE IsNull(tbl_contact.téléphone)=TRUE " & _
    "ORDER BY tbl_Contact.first_name; "

Case "FAX"

"FROM tbl_Contact " & _
    "WHERE IsNull(tbl_contact.FAX)=TRUE " & _
    "ORDER BY tbl_Contact.first_name; "

End Select

End Sub

Thanks for your help