Unanswered: msaccess.exe error when trying to link table

I have a database that has been working flawlessly for several months. It consists of approximately 15 linked tables and 3 native tables. I have always been able to link the tables without a problem until recently. When I try to link a table via ODBC, I get an error that says:

"MSACCESS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I find this strange for the following reason. I have a table called "CPU". I can open this table and look at it's content. If I try to re-link it in the current database, or try to link it from a new database, I get the error. Basically, existing links work, but I can't create a new one. All the linked tables have the same behavior.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have installed the newest MDAC.
    Thanks in advance for your help

More information

Tried using a different machine? - Same behaviour?

What version of ACCESS?

What version of MDAC?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Re: msaccess.exe error when trying to link table

Originally posted by mbowler
    I have a database that has been working flawlessly for several months. It consists of approximately 15 linked tables and 3 native tables. I have always been able to link the tables without a problem until recently. When I try to link a table via ODBC, I get an error that says:

"MSACCESS.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I find this strange for the following reason. I have a table called "CPU". I can open this table and look at it's content. If I try to re-link it in the current database, or try to link it from a new database, I get the error. Basically, existing links work, but I can't create a new one. All the linked tables have the same behavior.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have installed the newest MDAC.
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Could be a corrupt database. you could try one or both of the following:

Repair and compact the database

Or create a new database and re-link the tables and import the other objects from the old database.

Also make sure you are fully service packed on all the machines that the database will be based on

Sorry to leave out the details.

I am using:

Access 97
    MDAC 2.8
    Windows 2000

I have tried repairing and compacting with no luck. I have also tried linking from a new database and importing with no luck.

FYI. I am using Excel, Word, and Powerpoint XP even though I have Access 97. I am think that at this point my best option is to completely uninstall Access (registry keys and all), then reinstalling.

I am still open for suggestion. Thanks

When was the last time you upgraded your MDAC. If this behavior occured after you upgraded your MDAC then you know who's the culprit.

Originally posted by mbowler
    Sorry to leave out the details.

I am using:

Access 97
    MDAC 2.8
    Windows 2000

I have tried repairing and compacting with no luck. I have also tried linking from a new database and importing with no luck.

FYI. I am using Excel, Word, and Powerpoint XP even though I have Access 97. I am think that at this point my best option is to completely uninstall Access (registry keys and all), then reinstalling.

I am still open for suggestion. Thanks

Originally posted by khan
    When was the last time you upgraded your MDAC. If this behavior occured after you upgraded your MDAC then you know who's the culprit.
    I upgraded the MDAC a few days ago...but that was to try to solve this problem. I haven't made any changes to the database in a fairly long time, so I can't think of a specific cause. There have been some changes to the remote database, but I wouldn't think that could cause an error in msaccess.exe.

All queries and current tables work fine.

I did a complete uninstall (registry too) of Access and then reinstalled. This did not help.

The only other option that I think I have is to format and start from scratch. I am not sure this is even an option since I am in a corporate envirnoment.

Still taking suggestions.

Thanks

ummm. uninstalling won't help you.. Have you tried exporting from the database to another new database?