Unanswered: Report design problems

Hope someone can help. I have created a report that is fed from a parameter query. The parameter query is based on a numbering system. When the user enters the parameters up pops a report just ripe for the printing.

The report was made using the wizard. (I am pretty amateur at this and I am just now learning how to code so I use wizards alot)

My problem is this. I don't like how the report looks so I open it in design view and I adjust the asthetics I dont' like. Change the font, Bold, move the title, add a label to the header etc. never once changing a bound text field.

When I go back to layout view and run the parameter, the query no longer returns the correct records.

If I don't mess with the design it works great. If I do mess with the design it doesn't work at all. I tried to create a report from design view based on the query had the same problems.

Thanks
    scryma

Provided Answers: 1

Question Re: Report design problems

Originally posted by scryma
    Hope someone can help. I have created a report that is fed from a parameter query. The parameter query is based on a numbering system. When the user enters the parameters up pops a report just ripe for the printing.

The report was made using the wizard. (I am pretty amateur at this and I am just now learning how to code so I use wizards alot)

My problem is this. I don't like how the report looks so I open it in design view and I adjust the asthetics I dont' like. Change the font, Bold, move the title, add a label to the header etc. never once changing a bound text field.

When I go back to layout view and run the parameter, the query no longer returns the correct records.

If I don't mess with the design it works great. If I do mess with the design it doesn't work at all. I tried to create a report from design view based on the query had the same problems.

Normally, changing fonts, text size, and .... never influnce report data.

Do you have Grouping or Sorting on your Report?

It sounds a strange problem..

Thanks
    scryma

Provided Answers: 1

Lightbulb

Normally, changing fonts, text size, and .... never influnce report data.

Do you have Grouping or Sorting on your Report?

Do you get data on your Report? Or what is wrong.

It sounds a strange problem..

This is exactly what I did...

I have a table with 8 fields. I only need 3 fields for my report. I want the user to set the parameters for the report.

I made a query using
    column one (text field with numbers for sorting ease).
    Column two has a number field
    Column three is a memo field

Column one had criteria between [beginning date] etc... (i use the number field for a sortable date field because i'm in the military and we have numerous different date formats.)

Column two has " Like "2333" " (this is a military team numbering system and this number represents 1 set of records of a possible 25 different team numbers.)

Column three is just a memo field

When I execute the query, it works like a charm.

I then used the report wizard to make a report. I used this query for the report with the 3 fields. I made it tabular. I use the "bold" form.

When I open the report, the parameter windows open up and I enter my range and it works great...

But I don't like the way it looks so I enter design mode.

I move the report title, change the font, the color, the size and center it
    I add a label with some military report header information
    I go to the bound text boxes and adjust their size to fit the information. I extend the memo field to the end of the page.
    I change the fonts and sizes for the field labels.

Now when i go to layout view, the parameter boxes come up and I enter the parameters. When I execute the query, it brings up all the records, not the filtered ones. Mind you I have only done work to the appearance of the report. I haven't added fields or taken them away.
    I haven't change the actual bound objects at all.

I'm using access 2000

I am baffled. I have tried to figure this out for a week now and no luck. I tried making changes one at a time and that didn't work either. It seems as soon as I enter design mode and make the first change, the query or filters are knocked off line.

I don't think I have grouping or sorting on the report, at least I didnt conciously add anything like that except sorting by field one(which the wizard asks about)

Thanks

Smile

This is exactly what I did...

I have a table with 8 fields. I only need 3 fields for my report. I want the user to set the parameters for the report.

I made a query using
    column one (text field with numbers for sorting ease).
    Column two has a number field
    Column three is a memo field

Column one had criteria between [beginning date] etc... (i use the number field for a sortable date field because i'm in the military and we have numerous different date formats.)

Column two has " Like "2333" " (this is a military team numbering system and this number represents 1 set of records of a possible 25 different team numbers.)

Column three is just a memo field

When I execute the query, it works like a charm.

I then used the report wizard to make a report. I used this query for the report with the 3 fields. I made it tabular. I use the "bold" form.

When I open the report, the parameter windows open up and I enter my range and it works great...

But I don't like the way it looks so I enter design mode.

I move the report title, change the font, the color, the size and center it
    I add a label with some military report header information
    I go to the bound text boxes and adjust their size to fit the information. I extend the memo field to the end of the page.
    I change the fonts and sizes for the field labels.

Now when i go to layout view, the parameter boxes come up and I enter the parameters. When I execute the query, it brings up all the records, not the filtered ones. Mind you I have only done work to the appearance of the report. I haven't added fields or taken them away.
    I haven't change the actual bound objects at all.

I'm using access 2000

I am baffled. I have tried to figure this out for a week now and no luck. I tried making changes one at a time and that didn't work either. It seems as soon as I enter design mode and make the first change, the query or filters are knocked off line.

I don't think I have grouping or sorting on the report, at least I didnt conciously add anything like that except sorting by field one(which the wizard asks about)

Thanks
    Could you post a copy of the DB or at least the design if not all the data?

One comment though. If you use layout preview, it will give you all the records. If you use print preview it will filter the records. I'm assuming you have already discovered this.

Gregg

didn't know the diff btwn lyout and print view

ummmm actually, I didnt' know that layout view showed all the records. I didnt' try it in print preview. I'm not at work today so I will try it tomorrow... i'll feel like a complete maroon if thats all it was.

So just to recap... I create the report from the query, I alter the design and after I save it, when my user calls the report, he will see it in print preview mode as it should look?...

Why does layout view disregard the criteria?... is it purely to adjust adn fix the layout?...

thanks

Smile Re: didn't know the diff btwn lyout and print view

ummmm actually, I didnt' know that layout view showed all the records. I didnt' try it in print preview. I'm not at work today so I will try it tomorrow... i'll feel like a complete maroon if thats all it was.

So just to recap... I create the report from the query, I alter the design and after I save it, when my user calls the report, he will see it in print preview mode as it should look?...

Why does layout view disregard the criteria?... is it purely to adjust adn fix the layout?...

thanks
    Try tomorrow and see if you still have some problems.

Good Luck.

Gregg