Unanswered: doing a login in from a script

Hey,

I am trying to create a script that will will log into a process and then exit.

The command is hastatus and I am trying to supply a username and password. How do I simulate a carriage-return and a ctrl-c to then exit the process. I need to then check if certain groups are offline.

This is what I have (that doesn't work). Any help would be greatly appreciated:

#!/usr/bin/ksh
    VAR="netrac\n"
    VAR1="qwer90\n"
    printf $VAR
    printf $VAR1
    /opt/VRTSvcs/bin/hastatus <<!
    printf $VAR
    printf $VAR1
    ! >>

in vi you can use CTRL-v to insert ESC-Sequenz.

Example : vi INSERT-Mode type CTRL-v and then ENTER. You get "^R".
    This is an CR in shell enviromente. Also do with CTRL-c.
    Type CTRL-v and then CTRL-c. You get a "^C" in vi.
    CTRL-v only works for one character.

Peter F.
    Last edited by fla5do; 11-10-03 at 17:37.
    Greetings from germany
    Peter F.

Thanks,

I still can't get a carriage return after the "VCS Login:" It runs the userid and password together and I need to send the userid, then CR, then th password at the password prompt, and enter. Then after the status has been shown, I need to ctrl-c. Unfortunately, I can't get the CR (^M) or the Ctrl-C (^C) to work.

Am I missing something?

This is what I have:

#!/bin/ksh
    VAR=userid
    VAR1=passwordval
    print $VAR^M
    print $VAR1^M
    sleep 15
    ^C
    !>>

So, I'm trying to run the hastatus command, pass it the userid, CR, pass it the password, hit return, then ctrl-c out. When I run it I get this:

attempting to connect....
    VCS Login:Password:

Originally posted by jwdtacos
    Thanks,

I still can't get a carriage return after the "VCS Login:" It runs the userid and password together and I need to send the userid, then CR, then th password at the password prompt, and enter. Then after the status has been shown, I need to ctrl-c. Unfortunately, I can't get the CR (^M) or the Ctrl-C (^C) to work.

Am I missing something?

This is what I have:

#!/bin/ksh
    VAR=userid
    VAR1=passwordval
    print $VAR^M
    print $VAR1^M
    sleep 15
    ^C
    !>>

So, I'm trying to run the hastatus command, pass it the userid, CR, pass it the password, hit return, then ctrl-c out. When I run it I get this:

attempting to connect....
    VCS Login:Password:
    hi!

Instead of print try using echo

For example:
    #!/bin/ksh
    VAR=userid
    VAR1=passwordval
    echo $VAR
    echo $VAR1
    sleep 15

hope this will work

cheers,
    Pooja

Hi, thanks.

I've tried that and just about everything else.

It seems like a buffer is getting flushed and it is not taking CRs or seeing the password value.

At this point I am left to trying to use the freely available autoexpect script in the expect module to try and write a non-interactive login script.

If anybody has any experience going this route, please feel free to advise me.

Thanks,
    JD

Just as an FYI for everyone else, if you run into this problem with a command that is interactive or needs a username/password and shell scripting isn't doing the job, the freely available autoexpect script that comes with expect works beautifully.

You run it with the the interactive command as an argument and then interact with the command the normal way. Autoexpect will then create a script that will automatically do what you did.

Very nice.