Exclamation Unanswered: Pointing access to SQL

Hello~

Just trying to get back in the swing of things in server business. I just brought over a database from on SQL server. Now back on the clients machine it is still bringing up the old database. How can I get the client to point to the correct database on the new server? I hope someone can help Thanks

You are trying to get an access app pointing to a sql db yes?

You should be able to link the tables into access by setting up and ODBC dsn that points to the sql database.

I don't know if this is a good way to work though...

Also your table names will be prefixed with the table owner name so you will have to change all the names after you link them...

hope that helps.

Originally posted by rokslide
    You are trying to get an access app pointing to a sql db yes?

You should be able to link the tables into access by setting up and ODBC dsn that points to the sql database.

I don't know if this is a good way to work though...

Also your table names will be prefixed with the table owner name so you will have to change all the names after you link them...

hope that helps.
    Yes I am doing application pointing. I will try this any other ways you can think of? Thanks for your time

It really depends on the application you are wanting to point at SQL.

If it's MSAccess then linking tables would be one solution. Another would be using ADODB and doing it programaticly.

What is the application you are trying to point to sql?

I am wanting to link Access databases to a different sql. sorry that I didn't put that in.

Okie, so there are linked tbales in the MS Access application you have now?

If so I understand that you can change the connection details for the link. Working off memory (I did this ages ago) there is a field in the properties of the table that specifies the server that you are connecting into.

Have a look and see what you can find...