Unanswered: Oracle service hangs on "Starting". Help!

hey all,
    i have Oracle Enterprise 8.1.6 installed on a WinXP machine and i created a local DB service with the Database Configuration Assistant, but the service won't start. when i go to Start>ControlPanel>.....>Services it just says "Starting" and nothing happens. No error message, no nothing, just says "Starting" and that's it. any ideas?

thanks much!

Lightbulb

I suggest that you look at the Event Log Viewer to see if the server process has written any messages. It's unusual for a process to hang on startup without giving any clue but it can happen.

Also, be willing to wait a couple of minutes (by your watch) before drawing any conclusions, or killing it. If the process is waiting on a timeout you'd like to see some kind of "timed out" message... a clue.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Check your alert log in BDUMP directory to see what is happening whitin Oracle. The service might not be starting because of some Oracle problem.

BTW, did you ever started the OracleService ??

Hope that helps,

clio_usa - OCP DBA 8/8i/9i

Re: Oracle service hangs on "Starting". Help!

Originally posted by my_lou
    hey all,
    i have Oracle Enterprise 8.1.6 installed on a WinXP machine and i created a local DB service with the Database Configuration Assistant, but the service won't start. when i go to Start>ControlPanel>.....>Services it just says "Starting" and nothing happens. No error message, no nothing, just says "Starting" and that's it. any ideas?

thanks much!
    Hi,
    The reason may be that it does not find the INIT<sid>.ORA file. So please check that INIT<sid>.ORA should be existed in %oracle_home%\database folder.

It may help you.

hmm, weird, it worked fine when i logged in this morning. i don't know what the deal is. the difference from yesterday is that before i shut my computer down last night, i changed the following line in the sqlnet.ora file:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE), it used to be NTS in the parenthesis.

also, i changed the Startup Type for the service from automatic to manual.

oops, never mind, it won't work again.

one thing i tried was the following: in the file sqlnet.ora, i changed the following line: SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE), it used to be NTS in the parenthesis. when i first powered my machine this morning and attempted to start the Oracle service manually it worked, but then i was messing around with the Oracle Net8 Assistant so i had to restart the service and now it won't start. it gives me the following error message:

"Could not start the OracleService[service name here] on Local Computer

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

and then the it just says "Starting" and it won't do anything. it seems to be a WinXP/Oracle 8.1.6 incompitability issue, but it's got to be a way around it.

any ideas?

thanks much!

Have you tried starting the service thru ORADIM at the command prompt??? This might give you an idea of what's going on...

If the service starts up that way, then try to start the database thru
    SVRMGRL and see what it tells you ...

HTH
    Gregg

hey all,

thanks much!
    I hope it's WinXP Pro - even still, i recommend Win2K - had loads of trouble in the past with XP & Oracle.
    rgs,

Ghostman

Gbrabham, i've never used ORADIM. give an example of how to start a service thru it.

thanks.

Look at Help ...

c:\ > oradim ?

Ex:
    oradim -STARTUP -SID xxxx -PFILE c:\oracle\admin\xxxx\pfile\initxxx.ora -USRPWD password -STARTTYPE srvc,inst

HTH
    Gregg

hey all,

thanks much!
    You havent mentioned if it renders your instance unusable. if you are looking at the services in the windows services control panel, the database will always be a state of 'starting' - you could try and set it start manually, reboot the machine, and manually start the service.
    rgs,

Ghostman

hmm, i managed to start the service manually by using ORADIM, i think. i don't know how i did it though. i did two things and i guess one or both of them did it. first thing i did was edit the tnsnames.ora file, there wasn't an entry for the database i created there so i just put one manually. then i wen to command prompt and used ORADIM. so anyway, the service has started now.

there is another problem now though, when i go to log in to the Enterprise Console manager it won't recognize my password. it says something about "VTK-1000: Unable to connect to Management Server
    Please verify that you have entered the correct name and
    status of the Oracle Management Server ". when i go to Services and try to start the OracleManagementServer service, it says "The Management Server started and then stoped....."
    i am stumped (needless to say, i am a newbe).
    ??

If you are new to Oracle, use the GUI's.... Go in thru the programs/oracle/network administration/net assistant...

1. Check to see if your database is up and if not, start it ...
    thru SVRMGRL (at the command prompt)

set instance xxx
    connect internal/password@xxx
    (if error, then tnsnames has a problem ...)

connect internal/password
    select * from v$database;

if error, Oracle may not be running

startup pfile=c:\....\initxxx.ora

Set up your service thru this manner ... (This is creating the proper
    entry in tnsnames.ora for you). You can test out your connectivity
    there ...

If your management server will not start (services) check logs and
    the event viewer to find out where the problem is ...

HTH
    Gregg

ok, that worked. now my Oracle service is started, i've sucessfully created an instance of my local DB through Net8Assistant (and a Listener), and i created a data source based on the instance of the DB through the ODBC administrator. i was able to connect to the database through SVRMGRL and i also created a repository for that database through Enterprise Manager Configuration Assistant. however, i still can not start the ManagementServer service. the Event log said:

"The service has terminated abnormally. See the file C:\Oracle\Ora81\sysman\log\OMS.log for details,"

but the file OMS.log does not exist.

??

ok, nobody answers, but i figured it out (sort of) on my own. there were two problems:
    1. it could not find the file resources.ora, which was at the wrong location. it looked for it in /ORACLE HOME/admin/orb, while it was in /ORACLE HOME/Ora81/orb/admin. so i moved it to the right folder and that solved that.
    2. it gave me an error: "ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied" it was caused by me not setting the same username/password in both the repository and the Configuration Parameters.

so i was able to start the OMS service, but now it tells me "Discovery of [machine name].[domain name] failed due to null."

anybody know what that means?