Unanswered: String concatenation

Sorry i am posting this question in here but since my code was in a trigger i thought it might give me some ideas.

This is my code

UPDATE sfs.dbo.SF_MESSAGE

SET FIELD_9 = @bill_firstname + @bill_lastname,
    FIELD_13 = @bill_add1 + @bill_add2

this code works if there are fields present for both @bill_add1 and @bill_add2 in the database i.e none of them are NULL.
    But if either of them r NULL, this code doesn't work.
    How can i modify such that even there are null values for either field there should still be an output?

Thanks in advance..

Gayathri

hi again

Sorry i just found out the ans to my qn. I just had to add in the code below and it works the way i want.

SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF

Provided Answers: 1
    "SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL OFF" will work, but it is intended to be used as a connection setting. It would be better coding practice to write your statement like this:

UPDATE sfs.dbo.SF_MESSAGE

SET FIELD_9 = isnull(@bill_firstname, '') + isnull(@bill_lastname, ''),
    FIELD_13 = isnull(@bill_add1, '') + isnull(@bill_add2, '')

...which works no matter what the connection setting or permissions of the person executing the statement.

blindman

I would definately go along with Blindman on this one, his example is probably as close to perfect as you are going to get.

hi thanks for the alternative solution. I just tried and it does work that way too....u guys r great!

technically your other one is working....

but what happens when you add something to null? well, since null is undefined you can determine what you get so you get something that is undefined eg. null.

it's like the whole is null vs = null thing

Just know that data manipulation with a value that is potentially null might result in unexpected behavior.

Check out bol when in doubt. The following is an excerpt from "string concatention":

Remarks
    When you concatenate null values, either the concat null yields null setting of sp_dboption or SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL determines the behavior when one expression is NULL. With either concat null yields null or SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL enabled ON, 'string' + NULL returns NULL. If either concat null yields null or SET CONCAT_NULL_YIELDS_NULL is disabled, the result is 'string'.