Unanswered: using a select statement in VB to compare the value with a user input

Hi guys
    I have a form whereby the user has to input a value, with which I aim to compare the value with that held in a table field. I appear to be having trouble with syntax and placicing the table value in a form field. I want to do this after the 'update' in the user input field.

I have triedin afterupdate - event procedure)
    dim usename as string

select [tablename].[fieldname] from [tablename] where [tablename].[fieldname] = [forms]![formname].fieldcontent

dim usename as string
    set usename = select [tablename].[fieldname] from [tablename] where [tablename].[fieldname] = [forms]![formname].fieldcontent

The above with various combinations of brackets and parentheses.

I am then going to use the result returned in a case statement in order to underttake further branching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: using a select statement in VB to compare the value with a user input

Originally posted by rodmead
    Hi guys
    I have a form whereby the user has to input a value, with which I aim to compare the value with that held in a table field. I appear to be having trouble with syntax and placicing the table value in a form field. I want to do this after the 'update' in the user input field.

I have triedin afterupdate - event procedure)
    dim usename as string

select [tablename].[fieldname] from [tablename] where [tablename].[fieldname] = [forms]![formname].fieldcontent

dim usename as string
    set usename = select [tablename].[fieldname] from [tablename] where [tablename].[fieldname] = [forms]![formname].fieldcontent

The above with various combinations of brackets and parentheses.

I am then going to use the result returned in a case statement in order to underttake further branching.

Any help would be appreciated.
    For do that use the Dlookup function and in the beforeUpdate event, something like this:
    Dim varX As Variant
    varX = DLookup("[NombreCompañía]", "CompañíasEnvíos", "[IdCompañíaEnvíos] = " _
    & Forms!CompañíasEnvíos!IdCompañíaEnvíos)
    Me!usename = varX
    Saludos
    Norberto

Smile Re: using a select statement in VB to compare the value with a user input

Originally posted by Norberto
    For do that use the Dlookup function and in the beforeUpdate event, something like this:
    Dim varX As Variant
    Me!usename = varX
    That Spanish/English mix is wild. It's got to be interesting coding in two languages. I have trouble with one.

Gregg

Talking Re: using a select statement in VB to compare the value with a user input

Originally posted by Norberto
    Dim varX As Variant
    Me!usename = varX
    many thanks.

I used your advice successfully. I guess I was in a zone of using SQL statements and neglected to look at other options.

once again, many thanks.

Cheers