Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Unanswered: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Dear All,

    I have downloaded the IDS 9.4 trial ver. from IIUG. When i install it i get the foll. error on my log, "build_smi" failed. I even tried to manually run the buildsmi.bat script and also ran sysmaster.sql script but nothing worked. My instance is running. There is no sysmaster database, i can created new database. How to rectify this problem, can i continue working on this instance. Please advice. I even tried installating few times and also created few new instances but it dit not work. Details of my error log file is given below. Appreciate ur prompt replay.

    Regards,

    lloyd

    16:50:02 Booting Language <c> from module <>
    16:50:02 Loading Module <CNULL>
    16:50:02 Booting Language <builtin> from module <>
    16:50:02 Loading Module <BUILTINNULL>
    16:50:06 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1 Software Serial Number AAA#B000000
    16:50:13 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Initialized -- Complete Disk Initialized.
    16:50:13 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    16:50:13 Checkpoint loguniq 1, logpos 0xd0, timestamp: 82

    16:50:13 Maximum server connections 0
    16:50:13 Dataskip is now OFF for all dbspaces
    16:50:13 On-Line Mode
    16:50:13 Building 'sysmaster' database ...
    16:50:37 Assert Failed: build_smi failed
    16:50:37 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1
    16:50:37 Who: Session(9, informix@harsha.was, 0, 00000000)
    Thread(15, build_smi, 0, 1)
    File: rspseudo.c Line: 7873
    16:50:37 Results: Cannot build/check 'sysmaster' database
    16:50:37 stack trace for pid 680 written to E:\tmp\af.3f79d85
    16:50:37 See Also: E:\tmp\af.3f79d85, shmem.3f79d85.0
    16:50:41 Releasing server from system block
    16:51:02 build_smi failed
    16:51:03 build_smi failed
    16:55:40 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    16:55:40 Checkpoint loguniq 1, logpos 0x1018, timestamp: 99

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Dear All,

    I have downloaded the IDS 9.4 trial ver. from IIUG. When i install it i get the foll. error on my log, "build_smi" failed. I even tried to manually run the buildsmi.bat script and also ran sysmaster.sql script but nothing worked. My instance is running. There is no sysmaster database, i can created new database. How to rectify this problem, can i continue working on this instance. Please advice. I even tried installating few times and also created few new instances but it dit not work. Details of my error log file is given below. Appreciate ur prompt replay.

    Regards,

    lloyd

    16:50:02 Booting Language <c> from module <>
    16:50:02 Loading Module <CNULL>
    16:50:02 Booting Language <builtin> from module <>
    16:50:02 Loading Module <BUILTINNULL>
    16:50:06 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1 Software Serial Number AAA#B000000
    16:50:13 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Initialized -- Complete Disk Initialized.
    16:50:13 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    16:50:13 Checkpoint loguniq 1, logpos 0xd0, timestamp: 82

    16:50:13 Maximum server connections 0
    16:50:13 Dataskip is now OFF for all dbspaces
    16:50:13 On-Line Mode
    16:50:13 Building 'sysmaster' database ...
    16:50:37 Assert Failed: build_smi failed
    16:50:37 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1
    16:50:37 Who: Session(9, informix@harsha.was, 0, 00000000)
    Thread(15, build_smi, 0, 1)
    File: rspseudo.c Line: 7873
    16:50:37 Results: Cannot build/check 'sysmaster' database
    16:50:37 stack trace for pid 680 written to E:\tmp\af.3f79d85
    16:50:37 See Also: E:\tmp\af.3f79d85, shmem.3f79d85.0
    16:50:41 Releasing server from system block
    16:51:02 build_smi failed
    16:51:03 build_smi failed
    16:55:40 Checkpoint Completed: duration was 0 seconds.
    16:55:40 Checkpoint loguniq 1, logpos 0x1018, timestamp: 99
    Hi,

    For re-create of database sysmaster you need very long space of logical logs.
    Now, this error can be that no correct environment variables definition.

    Gustavo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    Hi,

    For re-create of database sysmaster you need very long space of logical logs.
    Now, this error can be that no correct environment variables definition.

    Gustavo.
    Hi Gustavo,

    How do i re-create sysmaster database, 6 logical logs with size 500 were created by default when i ran the setup file & created my instance. I don't think its got to do with logs space, if need i can add more logs, but i took the default settings. I have installed IDS 9.4 on win 2000. Also my INFORMIXSERVER, ONCONFIG, INFORMIXDIR, SQLHOSTS & PATH env variables are correct. Because i am able to start my instance and create new database run dml statements. Also i have installed informix client and i can connect to the server thru winsql too. There seems to be some serious problems, because we cannot do without sysmaster database. Is there anyother workaround. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Gustavo,

    How do i re-create sysmaster database, 6 logical logs with size 500 were created by default when i ran the setup file & created my instance. I don't think its got to do with logs space, if need i can add more logs, but i took the default settings. I have installed IDS 9.4 on win 2000. Also my INFORMIXSERVER, ONCONFIG, INFORMIXDIR, SQLHOSTS & PATH env variables are correct. Because i am able to start my instance and create new database run dml statements. Also i have installed informix client and i can connect to the server thru winsql too. There seems to be some serious problems, because we cannot do without sysmaster database. Is there anyother workaround. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd
    OK,

    The creation of database sysmaster forget one file log. Can You see this ?

    Gustavo.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    OK,

    The creation of database sysmaster forget one file log. Can You see this ?

    Gustavo.
    Hi Gustavo,

    I am sorry, i did not get you, which file log are you referring to.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Gustavo,

    I am sorry, i did not get you, which file log are you referring to.

    Regards,

    lloyd
    The buildsmi command create one file in \tmp\buildsmi.log.

    Gustavo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    The buildsmi command create one file in \tmp\buildsmi.log.

    Gustavo.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    The buildsmi command create one file in \tmp\buildsmi.log.

    Gustavo.
    Hi Gustavo,

    No buildsmi.file is created in /tmp directory but lot of files like af.* are created, a sample output is given below, also attaching the same, pls. advice

    19:09:53 build_smi:mt_exec failed, status -1, errno 0
    19:09:53 Verify the following:
    - you are running as 'informix' or 'root'
    - $INFORMIXDIR/etc/buildsmi exists
    - $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sysmaster.sql exists
    - dbaccess is runnable and will connect to your server
    - you can write to the file 'E:\Informix\etc\buildsmi_out.netboofer'
    19:09:53
    19:09:53 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1 Software Serial Number AAA#B000000

    19:09:53 Assert Failed: build_smi failed
    19:09:53 Who: Session(11, informix@harsha.was, 0, 00000000)
    Thread(30, build_smi, 0, 1)
    File: rspseudo.c Line: 7873
    19:09:53 Results: Cannot build/check 'sysmaster' database
    19:09:53 Stack for thread: 30 build_smi
    Attached Files Attached Files

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Gustavo,

    No buildsmi.file is created in /tmp directory but lot of files like af.* are created, a sample output is given below, also attaching the same, pls. advice

    19:09:53 build_smi:mt_exec failed, status -1, errno 0
    19:09:53 Verify the following:
    - you are running as 'informix' or 'root'
    - $INFORMIXDIR/etc/buildsmi exists
    - $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sysmaster.sql exists
    - dbaccess is runnable and will connect to your server
    - you can write to the file 'E:\Informix\etc\buildsmi_out.netboofer'
    19:09:53
    19:09:53 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.40.TC2E1 Software Serial Number AAA#B000000

    19:09:53 Assert Failed: build_smi failed
    19:09:53 Who: Session(11, informix@harsha.was, 0, 00000000)
    Thread(30, build_smi, 0, 1)
    File: rspseudo.c Line: 7873
    19:09:53 Results: Cannot build/check 'sysmaster' database
    19:09:53 Stack for thread: 30 build_smi
    Hi Dear,

    Thanks for reply, well the log file generated this is in E:\Informix\etc\buildsmi_out.netboofer.
    Please look this file.
    Another thing, I am seeing that not this defined, in the ONCONFIG, the dbspacetemp, may be occurring that be filled the tmp, since this the one that uses like space temporario.
    To raise a little the LOCKS and BUFFERS.

    Gustavo.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    Hi Dear,

    Thanks for reply, well the log file generated this is in E:\Informix\etc\buildsmi_out.netboofer.
    Please look this file.
    Another thing, I am seeing that not this defined, in the ONCONFIG, the dbspacetemp, may be occurring that be filled the tmp, since this the one that uses like space temporario.
    To raise a little the LOCKS and BUFFERS.

    Gustavo.
    Dear Gustavo,

    Thanks a million for your help, but it still did not work, i created a tempdbs and also increased my buffer & lock size. I am attaching the ouput of build_smi_out.netboofer file and also the file created in /tmp directory. The build_smi_out file has a listing of errors at the end, like no insert permission, no delete permission. I have created Informix-Admin group and made it a member of Administrator group on my local machine. Also created user Informix and made it a member of Informix-Admin group and granted foll. permissions "Logon as service", "Increase Quotas", "Replace a process level token", "Act as a part of operating system", but it still did not work. What other permissions need to be given. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd
    Attached Files Attached Files

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Dear Gustavo,

    Thanks a million for your help, but it still did not work, i created a tempdbs and also increased my buffer & lock size. I am attaching the ouput of build_smi_out.netboofer file and also the file created in /tmp directory. The build_smi_out file has a listing of errors at the end, like no insert permission, no delete permission. I have created Informix-Admin group and made it a member of Administrator group on my local machine. Also created user Informix and made it a member of Informix-Admin group and granted foll. permissions "Logon as service", "Increase Quotas", "Replace a process level token", "Act as a part of operating system", but it still did not work. What other permissions need to be given. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd

    Hi Gustavo,

    Any feedback, have i missed anything.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Gustavo,

    Any feedback, have i missed anything.

    Regards,

    lloyd
    Hi Lloyd,

    I see the log file and the message is clear, the user not have permission,
    can You check this ?
    Pease look the file $INFORMIXDIR/etc/buildsmi.[bat|sh] and $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sysmaster.sql.

    Gustavo.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    Hi Lloyd,

    I see the log file and the message is clear, the user not have permission,
    can You check this ?
    Pease look the file $INFORMIXDIR/etc/buildsmi.[bat|sh] and $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sysmaster.sql.

    Gustavo.
    Hi Gustavo,

    Thanks for your prompt reply, what additional permissions i need to set & how, apart from the above, can you please let me know. I checked the files, even in buildsmi_out file, at the end it gives no insert/delete permission. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    780

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by lloydnwo
    Hi Gustavo,

    Thanks for your prompt reply, what additional permissions i need to set & how, apart from the above, can you please let me know. I checked the files, even in buildsmi_out file, at the end it gives no insert/delete permission. Please advice.

    Regards,

    lloyd
    Hi,

    Please can you test if it's posible: drop database sysmaster, then onmode -ky then oninit.
    This it should create the database sysmaster on startup.

    Gustavo.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    262

    Re: Assert Failed: build_smi failed

    Originally posted by gurey
    Hi,

    Please can you test if it's posible: drop database sysmaster, then onmode -ky then oninit.
    This it should create the database sysmaster on startup.

    Gustavo.
    Hi Gustavo,

    No luck yet, i dropped the sysmaster database then brought the server offline using onmode -ky, then ran oninit, nothing happened, it just hanged, i even tried starts <servername> but nothing happened, i could see "buliding sysmaster database" on the online.log and then once again build_smi error. Really cannot figure out whats the problem. A few months ago i had done the same installation it worked fine, now its showing me this problem, could the problem be with my pc itself. Any ideas. Just to let you know how i progressed on my installation. First i created informix-admin group and made it a member of Administrator group, then i created informix user and made it a member of informix-admin as well as Administrator group. Then i assigned permissions to informix user, then i logged of & logged in once again and started with the installation.

    Regards,

    lloyd

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •