Unanswered: Real Application Clustering - RAC questions

Hi,

I"m doing a project on Oracle RAC, and you all seem like experts - especially compared to me. If any of you have implemented RAC or considered implementing RAC, could you answer a few quick questions. This really helps me out.

Are you satisfied w/ RAC (1 to 10)?
    Is RAC worth the $$$?
    For which type of applications would you deploy RAC?
    Are there any major gaps/issues/barriers to adoption?
    If you haven't deployed RAC yet, are you planning to? When?

Thanks.

-Mike

In the past I've set up a RAC on Linux Advanced Server 2.1 on X440 Series and FAStT900 Storage. We did it with raw devices although ocsf could also be used on that platform. On other platform only raw devices are available: but on some you can layer it with LVM.
    Since it is up and running we are satisfied. (Sept. 03)
    the database is a backend for a bookkeeping application and the customer wanted no downtime.
    pitfalls for adoption were the need of the summit kernel, and the clean configuration of the cluster sw and its services ...

keep in mind Oracle is updating their step by step guides for setting up a rac on different platforms very frequently.

and for the background and side knowledge Mike Ault's book on RAC from Rampant tec is worth reading .

Re: Real Application Clustering - RAC questions

Originally posted by mshuang
    Hi,

I"m doing a project on Oracle RAC, and you all seem like experts - especially compared to me. If any of you have implemented RAC or considered implementing RAC, could you answer a few quick questions. This really helps me out.

Is RAC worth the $$$?
    Are there any major gaps/issues/barriers to adoption?
    If you haven't deployed RAC yet, are you planning to? When?

Thanks.

-Mike
    My answer is 6. We have RAC in production state since 01.2003 there was some problems with availability and lot of TARs was posted to metalink. Now everything is ok (i hope).

For all apps which need to be 24x7 available.