Unanswered: Deleting an Redundant Subscriber

Hi All

I'm having SQL Server Subscription grief at the mo. I had two severs, one the Distributor / Publisher and the other the Subscriber (Transactional Replication with Queued Updating.)

The Distributor / Publisher crashed unrecoverable and the subscriber became the new Distributor / Publisher and another Subscriber was brought in.

However I have discovered that new Distributor / Publisher is still acting
    as a Subscriber to the now non exsistant server. The MSreplication_queue table on the new Distributor / Publisher is now five gig and growing. Viewing this table the entries are queueing up all the data since the server crash in order to send it to the now dead server.

I have run sp_subscription_cleanup but it was not removed the legacy
    Subscription tables.

I don't want to run sp_removedbreplication as it will remove ALL replication and not just the Subscriber elements.

How can I get rid of these legacy tables????

Thanks

Ali

Re: Deleting an Redundant Subscriber

When the Publisher/Distributor crashed, did you unsubscribe all subscriptions in the Subscriber and then uninstall Replication?

Unfortunately not. The Subscriber info was still on the machine when it was installed as the Distributor / Publisher.

The only way, that I know of, to get rid of the subscription cleanly is to execute sp_dropsubscription. But in your case, sql will not be able to recoginze the publisher/distribution because it's no longer there. Yet the subscription still exists in the server. I would get a server or just a desktop and setup a publisher/distributor using the old publisher/distributor's name, the one that crashed. Remember this has to be in the same domain and it's just like the old one. Then you execute sp_dropsubscription to clean up the old subscriptions.

Hope this helps. Good luck!