Unanswered: DB2 UDB 8.1 Installation

Hi,

To start of with, am a DB2 rookie. Last week had tried to migrate to 8.1 from 7.2 but ran into numerous probs. Am now installing v8.1.0.36 again on Windows 2000 Advanced Server Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2. This version has been provided to my company as an IBM Partner copy.

Question is: where can I find a step by step guide to installation including the settings which I need to do, user management etc etc. My DB will be used for combo of OLTP and Data Warehousing applications with typical size being in the range of 700MB-4 GB of data. No luck finding it anywhere as yet.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Look at IBM Support site. Search for install book.

For perormance settings try searching this forum. The best thread I can remember is http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=782441
    Try also some others.

Hope this helps,
    Grofaty
    Last edited by grofaty; 11-12-03 at 08:46.

The best starting point for setting up DB2 parmaters is by using the Peformance Wizard on the Control Center (or when you create the database).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Hi,

Nice tip from Marcus_a, but I suggest you to read above link where this tip is also mentioned.

Grofaty

Thanks guys.

Glitch.

I went to the IBM support site and found the install book, but this does not detail installation on Windows. Only on linux, solaris, aix etc etc. Looked around and did a search for installing db2 enterprise server edition windows, however I get basic installation instructions on installation prerequisites, environment etc, but not a step/step guide.

Any more links?

I dont want to hit the performance wizard directly 'cos I did that when I installed 7.2 earlier and really screwed up. The db was huge and real slow.

Thanks in advance.

Go To http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redb...f/portals/Data and search (upper right hand part of screen) for this book:

DB2 UDB Evaluation Guide for Linux and Windows

It contains step by step procedures for installation.

Note that upgrade procedures may be different and are discussed in the "read me" files that come with the product.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 11-12-03 at 10:15.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks once again.