Thread: searching

Unanswered: searching

i'm am creating a web page that as three search methods. i want to display the results regardless of the method used on one page can any one help me

I'm really stuck.

Thanks in advance

Providing the resultsets are in a similar format this shouldn't be a problem at all...

Best way IMO is to use XML as your structure for holding your search results then you can use XSL to format the return. Actually if you did it this way it wouldn't matter if the results sets had different columns and the like returned...

Simply put,.....

You have a page that gets the search criteria (say search.asp) and passes it to searchresults.asp.

Search results determines what search criteria has been selected/used, performs the search using that criteria and then formats the results using the appropiate XSL.

Does this help at all? Perhaps if you can give more info on the problems you are having I can help more.

Can you provide an example of what you want ?

i have a search page which has three differnt typesof search options i e
    1st

Smile

I have an asp page which has searches a database for an item. This search page has three search options
    1st text box, the user enters in a word and then clicks the search buttons beside it.
    2nd a drop down box with a list of the subject areas that are available to search and then click on the search button allocated to that search option
    3rd an alpha search list, i.e. A to Z images click one and a list will appear.
    I want all results displayed on the same asp results page regardless of which search options the user used.
    I hope this helps cause i really need the help

It sounds like you just need to create a form that submits to itself. Or are you looking for something that does a "refresh in place" - so the page does not have to be reloaded. Are the searche choices independent from each other ?