Unanswered: "Could not update; currently locked"

Hello everyone,

I have a multiuser Access 2000 database that is opened through a Windows shortcut. Occasionally, we will get the error message "Could not update; currently locked". Microsoft states that this happens because when a database is opened through a Windows shortcut, the Jet engine will use page-level locking instead of record-level locking. To fix this problem they suggest to download Microsoft Office 2000 SR1/SR1-a. Well, I did this already (to all the users' machines), and we are still experiencing the problem.
    Does anybody out there had this problem before? And was able to find a solution for it?
    I'll appreciate any help you can give me on that.

Thanks,

TM

And you verified that no user was viewing that record at the time of update? How have you created your viewing scheme? Direct recordsets? how did you create your forms relative to the database? Does each form open on a view of the actual data table?

check to make sure you have record-level locking enabled. Do this by Tool menu then option and then advanced tab. There should be a check box that need to be checked to enable it.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by M Owen
    And you verified that no user was viewing that record at the time of update? How have you created your viewing scheme? Direct recordsets? how did you create your forms relative to the database? Does each form open on a view of the actual data table?
    The database is set up so that each user can only view/edit their own clients (We have a main table holding customer information, and each of these customers have a "case worker" responsible for their cases. The case workers are the users of our database). Each form displays data through recordsets that are established through VBA code, since that was the only way I could figure out how to filter, for each user logged into the system, their own set of clients/customers. The database was originally set up as front end/back end system, but, due to performance problems loading the forms/data, we decided to "gather" everything under a Server. Should that be a sign to move on to SQL Server, and leave Access and its limitations behind?

Thanks,

TM

Originally posted by adrkoehler
    check to make sure you have record-level locking enabled. Do this by Tool menu then option and then advanced tab. There should be a check box that need to be checked to enable it.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for mentioning it. I did make sure record-level locking was enabled, but eventually the error message popped up again. I am seriously considering to move on to SQL Server and see if I can eliminate all the problems I have been having with Access.

Thanks for your help,

TM

Originally posted by mccabetc
    Thanks for mentioning it. I did make sure record-level locking was enabled, but eventually the error message popped up again. I am seriously considering to move on to SQL Server and see if I can eliminate all the problems I have been having with Access.

Thanks for your help,

TM
    You can use the form properties AllowEdits, AllowDeletes, AllowAdditions and DataEntry to control what the user can do to the data. You can turn these properties on/off at any time. this could prevent records from being locked by accident.

Originally posted by justin_tighe
    You can use the form properties AllowEdits, AllowDeletes, AllowAdditions and DataEntry to control what the user can do to the data. You can turn these properties on/off at any time. this could prevent records from being locked by accident.
    you could also restrict the number of records available by using the MaxRecords property of the form.

Originally posted by justin_tighe
    you could also restrict the number of records available by using the MaxRecords property of the form.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will implement them in my forms and see if it helps with my problem.

TM