Unanswered: Need Help - Access Vlookup

hi
    I have created two tables containing the SALARY and DEDUCTION . In the SALARY table i created 2 fieldname call 'Montly Salary' and 'Salary Deduction'. For the DEDUCTION table i had 2 fieldname call 'Salary Range' and 'Sum of Deduction'.
    My problem is, i want fieldname 'salary deduction' automaticly do a Vlookup to DEDUCTION table. I try to create but MS Access not recognise the VLookup funtion.

Please help me on this...Thanking you in advance.

ryfiz
    Last edited by ryfiz; 11-12-03 at 21:41.

You might want to repost in the Access Forum, since this one is focused on Excel.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Re: Need Help - Access Vlookup

Originally posted by ryfiz
    hi
    I have created two tables containing the SALARY and DEDUCTION . In the SALARY table i created 2 fieldname call 'Montly Salary' and 'Salary Deduction'. For the DEDUCTION table i had 2 fieldname call 'Salary Range' and 'Sum of Deduction'.
    My problem is, i want fieldname 'salary deduction' automaticly do a Vlookup to DEDUCTION table. I try to create but MS Access not recognise the VLookup funtion.

ryfiz

Hello,

What you are attempting to do is not supported by MS Access, as you have already experienced (access does not recognize Vlookup). The best approximation to your needs which Access can do is as follows:
    You can enter information in the salary table through a form and at the same time observe all the corresponding deduction information on the same form, here is how...

1. Create a new field, EntryID, in each table with the SAME name and Text Data Type, which will hold the same information. (Make EntryID in Salary table a Primary Key)
    2. Close any open objects; Create relationship (Tools | Relarionships...) display both tables in the Relationships window; drag-drop EntryID from Salary table on to EntryID of Deduction table; in the Edit Relatinships dialog box check-mark 'Enforce Referential Integrity' and 'Cascade Update Related Fields'; Click Create button.; Close relationships window
    3. Create query based on this relationship; Include both tables in query design view; Include all the fields from both tables, except EntryID from Deductions table; name the query qryDeductions
    4.Start the new form Wizard; select qryDeductions as the source of data for the form; click next;Select all the fields for the form; Next; Next; Select Datasheet for the Layout; select any Style;Name the forms accordingly, Finish
    5. Now you can enter records above and all the details for each of those records at the bottom.

Good luck! (See attached file!)

Wink

Thank u very much for ur email and i had go trough but it's not
    what i want, i want fieldname 'salary deduction' automaticly do a Vlookup to DEDUCTION table and auto fill in to the fieldname Salary deduction.

Talking Re: Need Help - Access Vlookup

and one more thing..where is your attachment???